“…when they saw the BOLDNESS of Peter an John… they realized that they had been with JESUS.”
THE HOLY SPIRIT
The empowerment of God’s Spirit in our lives brings GREAT BOLDNESS!
Acts 1:8 – Jesus said “And you shall receive POWER when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you shall be witnesses unto me…”
Acts 2:4,14 – And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance…. Then Peter stood up with the other eleven apostles and in a loud voice began to speak to the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, listen to me and let me tell you what this means.
BOLDNESS CAN BE SEEN
Acts 4:13 – Now when they saw the BOLDNESS of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.
Acts 4:29 – Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. So now, Lord, listen to their threats to harm us. Empower us, as your servants, to speak the word of God freely and courageously. (TPT)
Acts 4:31 – And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with BOLDNESS.
Boldness = Freedom of Speech and Confidence in the Lord (Strong’s).
Synonyms: Bravery; daring; firmness; fortitude; fearlessness; tenacity; valor; determination; dauntlessness; nerve; courage…
BOLDNESS IS NOT —
Just being loud; being rude; or being arrogant…
BOLDNESS IS —
Overcoming fear through trust and faith in our ALMIGHTY, FAITHFUL GOD!
RIGHTEOUS PEOPLE ARE BOLD
Proverbs 28:1 – The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.
When God came to Gideon, He called him a warrior. However, Gideon didn’t see himself as a warrior. In fact, he said he was from the weakest clan and he was the least of his clan, and he was hiding in fear of the enemy. Gideon also questioned God’s ability to work in his life. He wanted to know why God had abandoned them. He wanted to know where all the wonders were that his fathers had told him about.(Judges 6:11-7:25)
Many people are just like Gideon. They see themselves as weak and of little value. They often ask “Why did this happen to me?” or “Where was God when I needed him?”
But God didn’t see Gideon as weak or of little value. God called him a warrior. God gave Gideon COURAGE to accomplish his will, and win a mighty victory over the enemy.
Never underestimate something because it seems to be small. David’s bothers underestimated him, but the guy who underestimated him the most was Goliath, and he lost his life.
It doesn’t matter how small or weak you are, as long as you have someone big and strong backing you up. Gideon and David were mighty warriors because God had their back.
Boldness isn’t necessarily the total absence of fear, but the courage to do what you are supposed to do in spite of it!
OVERCOMING IN PERSECUTION
2 Corinthians 12:10 – “That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I AM STRONG”.
Several examples of famous athletes who have chosen to use their fame and celebrity as a platform to share the Gospel message.
It has been said that “Superstars like Tim Tebow, Olympians Gabby Douglas and Stephen Curry made more headlines for their faith than their game …”
“I constantly wake up every morning trying to get better, trying to improve, trying to walk closer to God.” “Regardless of what happens, I still honor my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, because at the end of the day, that’s what’s important, win or lose.” (Tim Tebow, Heisman Trophy winner and NFL quarterback)
“Gold is just an avenue for Jesus to use me to reach as many people as I can.” (Bubba Watson – Master’s champion golfer).
“I am so grateful God has truly blessed me! Remember to always give Him the glory for He is great!… I give all the glory to God. It’s kind of a win-win situation. The glory goes up to Him, and the blessing falls down on me.”
“I try to use every game as an opportunity to witness… BE A WITNESS FOR CHRIST. When I step on the floor, people should know who I represent, who I believe in.” (Three times NBA Champiion: 2015, 2017, 2018. 2nd All-time in 3 pointers made..Two times NBA Most Valuable player: 2015,2016… Seven times NBA All-Star: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021. Seven times All-NBA selection…)
LET’S ALL BRING GLORY TO GOD
Let’s choose to make our lives a platform for bringing glory to God!
These are men and women who have made a conscious choice to do what they do for the approval of the Lord rather than the approval of men.
You don’t need to be a world-class athlete to choose to use your life as a platform for witness… Each one of us are called to do the same! Jesus said to His disciples, “Go into all the world and preach the Gospel…!” (Mark 16:15) “As my Father has sent me, so send I you!” (John 20:21)
Colossians 3:17 – “Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus…
Colossians 3:23-24 – And whatever you do, do it heartily as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that it is from the Lord that you will receive the reward of your inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve”.
I Corinthians 10:31 – …whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
WAYS TO BE BOLD
Witness & let our light shine.
Stand for righteousness and truth.
Warn people who are deceived and going the way of destruction.
Determine not to go along with and participate in popular medical pressures and conformity with worldly, anti-Christ practices that are destructive…
BOLDNESS AT JUDGMENT DAY
I John 4:17 – Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have BOLDNESS in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world.
- And as we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world. (NLT)
MORE BIBLICAL ILLUSTRATIONS OF BOLDNESS
- BOLDNESS is the audacity to walk with God. (Enoch – Genesis 5:21-24)
Genesis 5:21-24 …all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.
Special note: It is not the absence of worldly influences; it is maintaining a life that is pleasing to the Lord in the midst of it all.
2. BOLDNESS is spending years building something by faith, for something that had never been seen before. (Noah – Genesis 6-8)
Special note: Noah kept doing what he was supposed to do, in spite of the opposition and sarcasm. (As in the days of Noah, so also shall it be in the last days before Jesus comes again – Matthew 24:37-39).
3. BOLDNESS is believing and saying what God says about you and changing your name at 100 years old. (Abraham – Genesis 17:5; Romans 4:16-21)
Genesis 17:5 – No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations.
Romans 4:16-21 – …also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all 17 (as it is written, “I have made you a father of many nations”) …18 who, contrary to hope, in hope believed, so that he became the father of many nations, according to what was spoken, “So shall your descendants be.” 19 And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. 20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.
4. BOLDNESS is Moses deciding not to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.
Hebrews 11:24 – By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter…
5. BOLDNESS is standing before a King (Pharaoh) and demanding him to free his slaves. (Exodus 5-12)
6. BOLDNESS is trusting God when you are surrounded on every side. (Moses & Israelites crossing the Red Sea – Exodus 14)
CALEB AND JOSHUA
7. BOLDNESS is to stand in faith when you are outnumbered by doubt. (Caleb & Joshua – Numbers 13-14)
JONATHAN AND HIS ARMOR-BEARER
8. BOLDNESS is attacking the enemy when you are outnumbered. (Jonathan & his armor-bearer – 1 Sam 14:6).
1 Samuel 14:6 – Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised men. Perhaps the LORD will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few.”
9. BOLDNESS is speaking victory and God’s Covenant to a giant and facing a giant with a sling shot. (David & Goliath – 1 Sam 17)
10. BOLDNESS is running to the battle. (David – I Samuel 17:48)
11. BOLDNESS is calling fire down from Heaven, and following that prayer up with praying for rain. (Elijah – I Kings 18:21-46; James 5:17-18)
12. BOLDNESS is telling an enemy general to go dip in a river. (Elisha / Naaman – 2 Kings 5:10)
13. BOLDNESS is preaching what is contrary to the word of the day by many prophets… (Micaiah – I Kings 22)
SHADRACH, MESHACK, AND ABEDNEGO
14. BOLDNESS is not bowing down to the world’s idols. (3 Hebrews / Shadrach, Meshack, and Abednego – Daniel 3)
DANIEL / APOSTLES
15. BOLDNESS is to pray to our Heavenly Father when the law says “no”. (Daniel 6)
Acts 5:29 – …Peter and the other apostles answered and said: “We ought to obey God rather than men.
Evaluation: What if the government tells us to do things contrary to the Lord’s commands? If faced with a choice, who will you obey?
16. BOLDNESS is going before the King when it could mean death. (Esther 4-8)
17. BOLDNESS is telling a few thousand people they are responsible for Jesus going to the cross. (Peter – Acts 2)
18. BOLDNESS is continuing to preach in the Name of Jesus when you are forbidden to do so. (Apostles – Acts 5:12-42).
19. BOLDNESS is preaching Jesus till people are grinding their teeth. (Stephen – Acts 7:54-60)
Special note: Stephen’s bold witness brought him a standing ovation in heaven by the Lord!
20. BOLDNESS is telling everyone to cheer up when it looks like the boat is going to sink. (Paul – Acts 27)
When the boat’s going down, and circumstances don’t look good – stand on the Lord’s revealed word to you and things will be alright…
ARE YOU A BOLD WITNESS FOR JESUS?
Special acknowledgements: Thanks to John Miranda for assisting with the preparation of some of this message and sharing it at our online service. Also thanks to Darren Osburn, Pastor at ‘Rivers of Peace’ for his message that was used as a primary resource, and the 20 “Boldness is…” points included above. Here are several links to his message: https://www.facebook.com/ropcpdx/videos/974063403155609 and the message notes can be found at —file:///Users/daniel/Documents/Boldness%20Pastor%20Darren%20Osburn%20Sept%201%202021%20Part%205.pdf