‘A VIRTUOUS CHURCH’
Jesus is coming again very soon for a “Glorious Church” (Ephesians 5:25-27). Being part of that “Glorious Church” also has to do with being people of moral excellence (VIRTHE). VIRTUE is to be part of our spiritual foundation.This message about “A VIRTUOUS CHURCH” is enlightening, and helpful. Please consider these Scriptures very carefully…
The church is referred to as the wife of Jesus Christ
Revelation 19:7 – … His wife has made herself ready.
Ephesians 5:23 – …the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church;…
Ephesians 5:25-27 – Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, … that He might present her to Himself a glorious church…
Proverbs 31:10-31 – “A VIRTUOUS WOMAN”
Since the church is the wife of Jesus – the LAMB OF GOD, it is interesting and note-worthy to consider the “VIRTUOUS WOMAN” of Proverbs 31 in that context. There are VIRTUOUS qualities upheld in that chapter that are not only applicable to natural women, but to all of us – the CHURCH!
There are 2 words that are used in the New Testament for VIRTUE. One has to do with God’s miraculous power. The other has to do with things that are morally excellent, praiseworthy, commendable; conformity to a right standard; of merit and value; beneficial; chaste; etc..
Luke 6:19 – – and the whole multitude sought to touch Him, for there went VIRTUE out of Him, and healed them all.
Special note: The Greek word for VIRTUE in this verse is “dunamis” – miraculous power.
Acts 1:8 – And you shall receive POWER, after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you; and you shall be witnesses unto me…
With great POWER gave the apostles witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus (Acts 4:33).
OF MORAL EXCELLENCE
Philippians 4:8 – …if there is any VIRTUE and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Special note: The Greek word for VIRTUE in this verse is “arete” – valor; excellence, praise, virtue)
Some other translations in Philippians 4:8: …“if there is any virtue and excellence” AMP; “if there is any moral excellence” CSB; “if anything is excellent and if anything is admirable” CEB; “what is truly worthwhile” – CEV; “If there is anything that is ·good [morally excellent] – EXB; “think about the things that are good” – ICB; “if there is any excellence of character” – LEB; “dwell on the fine, good things in others” – TLB “gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly” – MSG “if any worthiness” – YLT “If they are good” – WE“If there is anything good and worth giving thanks for” – NLV
2 Peter 1:3,5 – as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to glory and VIRTUE…
I Peter 1:3,5 (Cont) … giving all diligence, add to your faith VIRTUE, to VIRTUE knowledge…
QUALITIES OF “THE VIRTUOUS WOMAN” IN PROVERBS 31
There’s most of a chapter in the book of Proverbs (book of wisdom) commending a “virtuous woman”…
SHE IS VERY VALUABLE!
Vs 10 – Who can find a VIRTUOUS wife? For her worth is far above rubies. (she is more precious than jewels – her value is far above rubies or pearls – AMP)
SHE IS PRAISE-WORTHY! HER FAMILY PRAISES HER VIRTUES!
Vs. 30 – Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Vs. 28 – Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
SHE IS EXCELLENT, and strives for EXCELLENCE!
Vs. 29 – Many daughters have done VIRTUOUSLY, but you EXCEL them all.
SHE IS TRUSTWORTHY!
Vs. 11,12 – Her husband (and family) TRUSTS IN HER confidently and relies on and believes in her securely…“The heart of her husband safely TRUSTS HER; So he will have no lack of gain. 12 She does him good and not evil all the days of her life.”
SHE IS A DILIGENT, WILLING WORKER THAT IS FRUITFUL AND FULL OF GOOD WORKS!
Vs. 13 – She… willingly works with her hands.
Vs. 27 – She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Vs. 31 – Give her of the FRUIT of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates.
SHE PREPARES AND PROVIDES FOOD FOR HER HOUSEHOLD
Vs. 15 – She also rises while it is yet night, and PROVIDES food for her household…
SHE IS STRONG AND MATURE
Vs. 17 – She girds herself with STRENGTH, and STRENGTHENS her arms.
Vs. 25 – STRENGTH and honor are her clothing;
SHE CONTINUES TO HAVE LIGHT IN THE NIGHT
Vs. 18 – …her lamp does not go out by night.
Special note: (Consider the parable of the 10 virgins in Matt 15 – the lamps of the foolish went out in the night)
SHE IS COMPASSIONATE OF THE POOR AND NEEDY
Vs. 20 She extends her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her hands to the needy.
SHE IS NOT AFRAID
Vs. 21 – She is not afraid … (snow). – and of other things…
SHE IS INDUSTRIOUS AND MAKES GOOD THINGS
Vs. 19 – She stretches out her hands to the distaff, and her hand holds the spindle.
Vs. 22 – She makes tapestry for herself; Her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Vs 24 – She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies sashes for the merchants.
Vs. 18 – She perceives that her merchandise is good,
HER WORDS ARE WISE AND GOOD
Vs. 26 – She opens her mouth with WISDOM, and on her tongue is the law of kindness.
SHE PREPARES FOR THE FUTURE AND HAS FORESIGHT
Vs. 25 – … She shall rejoice in time to come.
HER HUSBAND IS KNOWN IN THE GATES
Vs. 23 – Her husband is known in the gates, when he sits among the elders of the land. Ø
Vs. 11,12 – The heart of her husband safely trusts her; so he will have no lack of gain. 12 She does him good and not evil
all the days of her life.
SHE’S A GOOD STEWARD
Vs 16 – She considers a field and buys it; from her profits she plants a vineyard.
Vs. 18 – She perceives that her merchandise is good,
MAINTAINING OUR FIRST LOVE
The great church at Ephesus was reproved by Jesus in His message to them in Revelation:
Revelation 2:4-5 – …you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lamp-stand from its place—unless you repent.
Here are some helpful suggestions for ‘Maintaining Our First Love’ by Pastor Wendell Smith (1):
- Give Him the 1st part of your day. (“Seek 1st the kingdom of God and HIs righteousness…” Matthew 6:33; “It is a good and delightful thing to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to your name, O Most High… to show forth your lovingkindness in the morning… – Psalm 92:1-2).
- Enter His gates with thanksgiving in your heart. (“Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise.Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.5 For the Lord is good;…” Psalm 100:4,5).
- Rehearse past victories and declare His goodness. (“Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits” – Psalm 103:2; “The Lord, the Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abounding in goodness and truth… – Exodus 34:6).
- Abandon yourself in times of corporate worship. (I will praise the Lord with my whole heart, In the assembly of the upright and in the congregation… Psalm 111:1).
- Read more of His Word (Psalm 139; “…he shall read it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the Lord his God… Deuteronomy 17:19; “Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written in it;… Revelation 1:3; “How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You… Psalm 119:9-11; “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. – Joshua 1:8).
- Remember your salvation experience. (“My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation… – Psalm 13:5; “Restore to me the joy of Your salvation… Psalm 51:12; “In God is my salvation and my glory…” Psalm 62:7; “Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, The God of our salvation! – Psalm 68:19; Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For Yah, the Lord, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation. Therefore with joy you will draw water From the wells of salvation.’ ” – Isaiah 12:2-3).
- Rehearse all the names of God. ( Then Moses said to God, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?” 14 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ” This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.’ – Exodus 3:13-15; The Lord is a man of war, the Lord is His name – Exodus 15:3; “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you… (THE LORD) – Exodus 33:19; “So they shall put My name on the children of Israel, and I will bless them.” – Numbers 6:27; that you may fear this glorious and awesome name, THE LORD YOUR GOD – Deuteronomy 28:58; Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” – Acts 4:12; His name shall be called Jesus, for He shall save His people from their sins – Matthew 1:21; God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, …11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord… – Philippians 2:9-11). Here are some of the names and revelations of God through His names — He is our “Healer” – Isaiah 53:5/I Peter 2:24/Exodus 15:26; ; – He is our “Comforter” – 2 Corinthians 1:3,4; He is our “Provider” – Philippians 4:19/Genesis 22:8; He is “King of Kings and Lord of Lords” – Revelation 17:14/19:16; He is “Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End” – Revelation 1:8/221:6/22:13; He is “Omnipotent” – Revelation 19:6; He is “Wonderful, Counsellor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, and the Prince of Peace”; Etc…
- Listen and be quiet before Him. (“Be still and know that I am God… Psalm 46:10; “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches…” – said multiple times in Revelation 2,3).
- Remember He is your source. He knows what you need before you ask. (My God shall supply all of your needs… – Philippians 4:19; …your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. (Jesus) – Matthew 6:8; come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need – Hebrews 4:16; Looking to Jesus the author and finisher of our faith… Hebrews 12:1-2).
- Music, Singing, Worship, instrumental music in quiet times. – (Be filled with the Spirit, speaking to yourselves in Psalms and Hymns and Spiritual Songs, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord – Ephesians 5:18,19; Psalm 150; Make melody to Him with an instrument… Psalm 33:2).
- Make a lifestyle of fasting. (…So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting”- Mark 9:29; Anna — …did not depart from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day – Luke 2:37; …I humbled myself with fasting…. Psalm 35:13)
- Personal prayer and devotion time. (Pray without ceasing – I Thessalonians 5:17 ; “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations’? – Mark 11:17; I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands… – I Timothy 2:8).
- Pray in tongues. (He that speaks in an unknown tongue edifices himself… – I Corinthians 14:4; I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also…- I Corinthians 14:15; beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God… Jude 20,21).
- Remember where you came from (Egypt). (you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light… – I Peter 2:9; “I am the Lord your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt…” Psalm 81:10).
- Talk about your best friend Jesus. (There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother… Proverbs 18:24; A friend loves at all times… – Proverbs 17:17; Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.You are My friends if you do whatever I command you… I have called you friends… – John 15:13-15; Let the redeemed of the Lord say so… – Psalm 107:2).
- See Jesus in your children. (I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring… – Isaiah 44:3; I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your young men shall see visions, Your old men shall dream dreams… – Acts 2:17; Christ in you, the hope of glory… – Colossians 1:27; I write to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for His name’s sake… I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the wicked one… I write to you, little children, because you have known the Father… I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the wicked one. – I John 2:12-14).
- Declare God is a good God. (Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good… – Psalm 34:8; His goodness endures continually – Psalm 52:1; Truly God is good… Psalm 73:1; O give thanks to the Lord for He is good… – Psalm 136:1; …you are my God, your Spirit is good… Psalm 143:10)
- Have fun in the House of God. Serve joyfully and love people. (Psalm 100; In His presence is fulness of joy… Psalm 16:11; Happy are the people whose God is the Lord – Psalm 144:15; …it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant… – Psalm 147:1).
- Use the alphabet to personalize your praise to Him. (…forget not all his benefits – Psalm 103:2; Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits, even the God of our salvation – Psalm 68:19; …the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy – I Timothy 6:17).
- Celebrate the progress of your walk with God. (The path of the just is a shining light that shines more and more… Proverbs 4:18; We had to celebrate this happy day. For your brother was dead and has come back to life! He was lost, but now he is found!’” – Luke 15:32; He jumped up, stood on his feet, and began to walk! Then, walking, leaping, and praising God, he went into the Temple with them – Acts 3:8; No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly – Psalm 84:11).
- Stay in an atmosphere of faith. (Without faith it is impossible to please God… Hebrews 11:6; Jesus said – … have faith in God – Mark 11:22; …imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises – Hebrews 6:12; looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith – Hebrews 12:2; Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful that promised – Hebrews 10:23).
- Be a servant and a giver. (..whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant… – Matthew 20:27; he that is greatest among you shall be your servant – Matthew 23:11; Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things – Matthew 25:23; If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all – Mark 9:35; Give unto the Lord, O you mighty ones, Give unto the Lord glory and strength. Give unto the Lord the glory due to His name; Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness – Psalm 29:1-2; Give, and it will be given to you… – Luke 6:38).
- Remember He knows everything about you. (O Lord, You have searched me and known me.2 You know my sitting down and my rising up;You understand my thought afar off.3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways.4 For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether – Psalm 139:1-4).
- Look around and appreciate the beauty He created. (He has made everything beautiful in its time – Ecclesiastes 3:11; Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised… beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth… Psalm 48:2; God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good – Genesis 1:31; the Lord will comfort Zion, He will comfort all her waste places; He will make her wilderness like Eden, And her desert like the garden of the Lord; joy and gladness will be found in it, thanksgiving and the voice of melody – Isaiah 51:3); Praise the Lord! …For it is pleasant, and praise is beautiful – Psalm 147:1).
- Offer Him evening sacrifices. (“It is a good and delightful thing to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to your name, O Most High… to show forth… your faithfulness every night –Psalm 92:1-2; Let my prayer be set before You as incense, The lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice – Psalm 141:2...they burn to the Lord every morning and every evening burnt sacrifices and sweet incense; … and the lamp-stand of gold with its lamps to burn every evening; 2 Chronicles 13:11).
LOVE THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART
It is interesting that we are clearly instructed to love the Lord with our whole heart! We are not to be half-hearted in our love. Husbands want whole-hearted love! Jesus told the church at Laodicea that they were lukewarm, and that their lukewarmness made Him sick!
Revelation 3:16 – …because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
Mark 12:20 – (Jesus said) …you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’
TRUE Story of a husband loving his wife
A husband gave his life to save his wife from a severe tornado that hit Joplin, Missouri a number of years ago. It was a very powerful and violent tornado. It blew a semi-truck and trailer around like it was a toy. The demolition that followed in its path looked like a war zone, with cars stacked up on top of one another in parking lots, etc… As many as 125 people were thought to have been killed by the tornado.
As the tornado tore his home apart, he threw himself on top of his wife to protect her. She told the NBC News – “The house was ripping apart. It all happened so fast. All the pillows were flying off of us. The only thing I managed to do was to keep one in front of my face.” Once the wind died down, she recounted, she looked over to see that her husband was turning blue. He died before she could find an ambulance to get him to a hospital. “You know, people kept saying he wouldn’t have wanted it any other way, but if I could have taken twice as much damage just to save him alive, I would have”, she said. “He did what he could to protect his family”, she added. “He’s my hero”.
(The following was shared on Mother’s Day. I am including it here because the honoring of godly mothers/wives should be done continually on a daily basis – not just once a year! Let us continually ‘give honor to whom honor is due! (Romans 13:7) If anyone was ever worthy of honor, it is a godly, faithful woman who continue to lay down her life day after day for her family! She is to be honored and appreciated for all time and eternity!
- There is great reason for celebrating mothers! Where would any of us be without our mothers! We all got into the world the same way – through our mothers, and we should all be forever grateful to them for their sacrificial investments in our lives! Our mothers deserve great honor and appreciation, and let’s always remember to do that in as many ways as possible.
- HISTORY – Mother’s Day Celebration began with with a woman by the name of Anna Jarvis, who loved her mother. It started over 100 years ago in a church in Grafton, West Virginia (USA) where Anna Jarvis gave out 500 white carnations; one for each mother in the congregation at her late mother’s church. The following year, she held a memorial to her mother. These personal acts of remembrance grew into a huge letter writing campaign to elected officials requesting a day to recognize mother’s everywhere. In 1914, as a result of the persistence from Anna and her fellow campaigners, a joint Congressional resolution was passed and later signed and proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson establishing the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day. (which is celebrated in many parts of the world as well).
- It is interesting to note that Anna Jarvis was not a mother herself. Yet the fruit of her acts of loving remembrance and respect for her mother helped prepare the way for millions and millions of mothers all over the world to be celebrated on an annual basis. It not only became a Presidential proclamation that mothers would be celebrated in America, but became a world-wide movement.
- GIVE HONOR TO YOUR MOTHER (sisters, wife, Grandmother’s, Great-Grandmothers)
- (Some of the following re-echo’s some highlights from Jantezen Franklin’s message – “How to Honor your Mother”. I would highly recommend listening to it)… “How to Honor Your Mother” Jentezen Franklon April 24 2022 https://www.freechapel.org/messages/how-to-honor-your-mother-by-jentezen-franklin (2)
HONOR YOUR MOTHER
*Q – Are you the kind of daughter or son that you would like to raise?
* Growing to be successful individuals with excellent values and morals is reflected by how we treat our parents. By obeying God and honoring our parents we can achieve a high level of moral value that makes a big difference in the world.
Honoring your mother is one of God’s top 10 commandments
Proverbs 30:17 – The eye that mocks his father, And scorns obedience to his MOTHER, The ravens of the valley will pick it out, And the young eagles will eat it.
* It’s not just something extra thrown – it is absolutely necessary! It is a commandment!
* How you treat your parents really matters to God!
* “it will be well with you, that you may live long on the earth!”
* Children who dishonor their parents will suffer great, negative consequences… It will NOT go well, and they will shorten their life!
LOVE STORIES in bible about loving mothers
Syrophoenician woman who was persistent
Widow lady who was persistent in seeking out Elijah when her son died.
The 2 mothers – Solomon discerns the true mother – I Kings 3:26; 16-28
- Came before King Solomon
- Both had infant nursing children
- The child of 1 of the mothers accidently was killed by her laying on it and suffocating it in the night.
- She took her dead child, and while the other woman was sleeping, she traded it for the live child.
- When the other woman woke up, she found it wasn’t her child with her that was dead. However, the 1st woman claimed that the living child was hers
- they were brought before the king to help decide who was the true mother of the living child.
- “Bring a sword – divide the living child between the 2..”
- The true mother of the living child said, “let her (the untrue mother) have the child”
- The untrue mother said, “kill it – let it be neither your or mine”
- King Solomon thereby discerned the true mother, and gave the living child to the true mother!
- A true mother is loving, kind and helpful! – not jealous, mean, and deceptive!
Some Attributes of a Good Mother
She is determined to accept the challenge of being a virtuous woman (Prov.31)
She greatly loves her husband and family.
She prays with perseverance for her family.
She loves Jesus and the Word of God.
Her faith and trust is in Jesus!
She is kind and truly loves her children.
She spends quality time with her husband and children.
She is willing to sacrifice her own desires.
She is a woman of integrity.
She is a good example.
She helps lead her family towards faith in God.
She teaches her children to be thankful.
She teaches her children to work.
She lives a life of grace, mercy and praise.
She is a praise-er and a worshiper.
She continues to faithfully attend church gatherings.
She helps monitor what the children are reading, watching, and doing.
She helps instill the fear of God in the children.
She helps train up the children in the way they should go.
Sometimes life is hard, and there is suffering, but she is willing to endure uncomplainingly.
Teaches the children how to manage their time, budget their money.
Teaches her children to live to please the Lord!
Teaches them about being missionaries, and what an honor it is to be an ambassador of the gospel to other nations…
HUSBANDS NEED TO LISTEN TO THEIR WIVES
A family on vacation were enjoying a road trip together. As they were driving along (the husband was driving) they came across a large sign that read “Road Closed – Do Not Enter”. The man ignored the sign and proceeded to go around and continue on down the road because he was confident that it would save them time. However, his wife was resistant to that idea – and didn’t consider it a good one. Nonetheless, there was no turning back for the persistent man.
After a few miles he was feeling quite proud of his successful navigation, and discernment. His proud smile was quickly replaced with humble sweat when the road led to a washed-out bridge. He turned the car around and retraced his steps back to the main road. When they arrived at the original warning sign he was greeted by large letters on the back of the sign, “Welcome back! Don’t be so stubborn next time!”
Husbands need to listen to their wives, or they might be heading for some very humbling lessons along the way, like I’ve needed to learn over the years…
GIVE MOTHER’S “BOUQUET’S OF PRAISE”
Honor mother’s by giving them opportunity to give thanksgiving, praise, and testify to God’s goodness in their lives – and listen to them… 🙂
Honor them with some words of praise and appreciation from the heart.
Give gifts of appreciation (not just once a year — over and over again…) One of the greatest, most precious gifts is your time and attention.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO CHILDREN
CHILDREN THAT HONOR THEIR PARENTS ARE BLESSED
* It matters so much to God that He gives a specific commandment to do it with a special promise to those who do…
Ephesians 6:1-3 – Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER,” which is the first commandment with promise: 3 “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.”
Leviticus 19:3 – Each of you must respect your father and mother..
Hebrews 12:9 – Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them RESPECT. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?
Proverbs 13:1– Intelligent children listen – foolish children to their own thing…
Proverbs 6:20 – Do what your father tells you and never forget what your MOTHER taught you. Their instructions will guide you how to live life.
Proverbs 23:25 – Give your father and MOTHER joy! May she who gave you birth be happy!
Proverbs 23:22 – Listen to your father, without whom you would not exist. When your mother is old – show her your appreciation (do not despise your mother when she is old).
I Timothy 5:4 – …if any widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show piety at home and TO REPAY THEIR PARENTS; for this is good and acceptable before God.
- Take care of your mother / grandmother – visit her, go see her, include her in our life – do things for her!
- Notice the priority – do this 1st!
- Jesus dying on the cross was the most important event in history. When on the cross, He made 7 significant statements. “Father forgive…” to “It is finished.” Right in the middle of those statements, He sees His mother and John. He says to John, “take care for my mother” (modeling honoring of his mother in older years by providing and taking care.
I Timothy 5:8 – Any who does not take care of his immediate family, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
(Several other translations) — if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. If anyone doesn’t take care of his own relatives, especially his immediate family, he has denied the Christian faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
Galatians 6:10 – as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.
Psalm 27:10 – When father and mother forsake me, then the Lord will take care of me.
Special note: — the Lord gives special attention to any who have been abandoned, lost loved ones, etc..
Romans 12:15 – Rejoice with those who rejoice — also weep with those who weep.
Special note: Some have lost mothers, some have lost children, some have not been able to have children for whatever reasons. While we rejoice with mothers and the blessings of motherhood, let’s also be sensitive to those who may not have their mothers, or children.
- Lets bless and remember foster parents who have been loving to reach out and love children who are not their own, and grandmothers who are raising their kids kids…
The following are some excerpts and summaries primarily from a Jentezen Franklin blog – “7 Ways to Honor Your Mother” and His message “HOW TO HONOR YOUR MOTHER” (2)
Ways to Honor Your Mother…
#1 – Love her unconditionally! – – whether she has something or nothing to give, tell her you love her. Love her no matter what! Love her when she is young and love her when she’s old. The way that you honor your mother is to love her unconditionally. Love her when she’s young, and love her when she’s old. Love her when she has so much to give, and she keeps on giving, and giving, and giving to you the best years of her life. Everything that she has, she gives to you. She lays down her life for you. Love her when she has something to give, and when she has nothing left to give. Don’t just treat them ugly as they are getting older! You are commanded to love her unconditionally.
#2 – Hug her affectionately! – do not take her for granted. …“Have you hugged your mom today?” Kiss her affectionately. It’s amazing how we can take for granted that our mother knows that we love her. Tell her that you love her. Show her that you love her.
#3 – Understand her sympathetically! – – Mothers do so much for us! realize the various challenges she’s gone through. Mothers go through a lot of changes. They wear so many hats. They cook, they clean, they judge, they make peace, they referee. They’re sounding boards. They’re accountants. They do so much, and we need to appreciate the great job that mothers do for us every single day of their life. And we need to understand them sympathetically. We need to have something in our heart that is so accommodating, and so sympathetic that it causes us to love with understanding. As they’re getting older, we are to be extremely sympathetic.
#4 – Listen to her attentively! Give your undivided attention; even if you don’t always agree, make them feel important. Pay attention. Husbands want undivided attention. Children also want undivided attention from that mother. When is it her turn? You have to determine in your heart that you will love her by being attentive to her. The older you get the wiser you get.. Younger people sometimes become so distrustful and proud – they don’t think their parents know anything or can do anything. Make her feel valued, like what she has to say is important! She listens to you attentively! What about you?
- 2 Kings 4 – (son out in the field – “my head, my head..” the father said, take him to his mother. When there is trouble, tell mother. Mother is there – so concerned in every detail of our life! Mothers are amazing!
#5 – Help her cheerfully! do not make her feel like she’s a burden or that you’re doing them a big favor by helping. Mothers are the greatest helpers in the world. They do things that money cannot pay people to do… They are amazing. Help her cheerfully. Don’t act like they are a big pain… She took care of you a lot of your life! What are you willing to do for her?
#6- Remember her gratefully! invite her to go places, call her, offer friendly gestures of thanks. Be reminded again and again by simply showing and expressing gratitude. We need to appreciate the great job they do for us every day of their life. Little things mean a lot… just a call. How are you doing? What’s going on? You want to go shopping with us? Just a call. From grandkids says – ‘you matter’… You are important. I’m so thankful for what you’ve given to me. Mother needs to know somebody appreciates her – somebody loves her. You remember gratefully how well she taught you, and spent her valuable life training you. How much she has loved you. How excellent she cared for you… recognizing that means a lot!
#7 – Remind her of how much she’s needed. constantly – tell her that she is treasured, valued, and needed. It hurts a mom to feel she’s no longer needed. There’s nothing that the enemy would love more to tell a mom, as she moves into her golden years is –to whisper in her ear, you’re not necessary. Your life is over. Nobody has time for you. You’re just a hindrance. You’re just an inconvenience to everybody. That’s a lie! And we have to constantly remind our mothers how much they are needed constantly. When she can’t work – she is still needed because she can pray! She thrills over you wanting her recipes and enjoy her good, loving hours of cooking in the kitchen. The older a person gets the more we need to let them know constantly how valuable they are and how much we love them! When she can no longer work – she is still needed because she can PRAY!
- When a preacher stopped by a house in England and asked to speak to the mother, her little boy said, “You can’t see her right now, she’s praying.” That’s because Susanna Wesley spent one hour every day praying for each of her seventeen children. Eventually two of them, John and Charles, were used by God to bring a spiritual awakening to Britain and America and establish the Methodist Church. Such is the influence of a praying mother.
Special note: Like Anna Jarvis and others, there are many wonderful ways to honor our mothers. How do you recognize the importance of your mother in your life?
EVALUATION AND APPLICATION
How do you honor your mother and father?
Be the kind of son and daughter you would like to raise!
Help your mother and wife achieve greatness!
Proverbs 31:28 – “Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her …”
Special note: Appreciate the good qualities and virtues of your mother (grandmother, great-grandmother, wife…) Tell them today!!
We are thankful for our mother’s! When we have wives, mothers, grandmothers, sisters that love the Lord – we are so blessed!
- What godly mothers need most is to know that their children know and honor God! There is nothing in the world that can honor a mother more than giving life to Christ (coming back / whole-heartedly serving the Lord)
- A woman that fears the Lord shall be praised! (Prov. 31:31)
- Don’t take the wonderful qualities of godly women in our lives for granted!
- What are some of the things that you appreciate about your wife, or mother, or grandmother? Their good qualities and virtues? Tell them today… (Do it while you are able…)
- We are thankful for our mother’s! They constantly show us love in so many ways – cooking and in the kitchen, clothes and laundry, protection, care when sick, help and loving support in so many ways…
- Show your love and appreciation for them (with words and thoughtful acts – not just thoughts!).
Proverbs 19:14 – A prudent WIFE is from the Lord (a wise, understanding, and sensible WIFE is a gift and blessing (AMP)] from the Lord.
(Other translations) “an insightful wife” – CEB; “a sensible wife” – CJB / “a wife with good sense” – EHV ; “a good wife” – ERV; “a wise wife is a gift from the Lord.” – ICB; “a congenial spouse” MSG “an understanding wife” – NLV
- Special acknowledgement and thanks to Wendell Smith, former pastor and founder of City Bible Church, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Special acknowledgement and thanks for Jentezen Franklin’s message available on youtbue – “How to Honor your Mother”April 24 2022 https://www.freechapel.org/messages/how-to-honor-your-mother-by-jentezen-franklin; and some excerpts and summaries primarily from his blog – “7 Ways to Honor Your Mother” .