Let’s not abuse His mercy or be presumptuous. Let’s continue to abide in Him.
- Review – the focus the last several weeks has been MERCY
- It’s because of God’s faithfulness AND MERCY we are not destroyed!
- We are saved by His MERCY, kindness, & grace
- Because of His mercy, it is only reasonable to whole-heartedly serve Him
- He has created us to be vessels of His MERCY
- Romans 11:22 –Therefore consider the goodness AND severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.
- If we DON’T continue to abide in Him, Jesus said we will be destroyed!
- The focus today is on God’s righteous JUDGMENTS, and triumphing over them through receiving MERCY & being channels of God’s MERCIES….
- For the last several weeks our theme has been — “JESUS IS MERCIFUL”. Last week was 2A “Mercy Triumphs Over Judgment!” Praise God for His abundant, UNFAILING MERCIES!
- Today we continue with “JESUS IS MERCIFUL” – 2B “Don’t Be Presumptuous!” The Lord is a God of MERCY AND JUDGMENT…
Both are very real, & important vital revelations of Jesus, and His righteous dealings with people.
- We will define presumption and “sins of presumption”. We also will emphasize the absolute importance of continuing in God’s goodness, or the consequences will be dreadful. (Romans 11:22)
- We also want to share what God’s mercies look like, the importance of showing our eternal gratefulness, and how to practically apply the message about MERCY to our lives in a personal way.
MERCY AND JUDGMENT
- It is not “MERCY… OR JUDGMENT” – In James 2:13 it says, “MERCY… OVER JUDGMENT!”
- James 2:13 – …For JUDGMENT is without MERCY to the one who has shown no MERCY. MERCY triumphs over JUDGMENT.
- Deuteronomy 7:12 – … because you listen to these JUDGMENTS, and keep and do them, that the Lord your God will keep with you the covenant and the MERCY which He swore to your fathers.
- Determining truth & implementation of justice
- sentence of doom pronounced by the judge
- discern right and wrong, good and evil.
- remarkable punishment upon sinners.
JUSTICE (Judgment) & EQUITY
- Justice & Judgment is part of Jesus’ ministry
GOD’S RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENTS (more next week)
- His judgments among the nations are deep mysteries – As we carefully look into His Word, Scripture helps us understand their importance better.
- All His ways are judgment…
- God is a God of judgment
- He wants us to observe His judgments for our good – – “that it might be well with us!”
- We will all stand before the judgment seat of Christ to give account for ourselves…
- Very dangerous, & a serious offense to God
- Don’t sin willfully
- God forbid that we continue in sin (Romans 6:1)
THE FEAR OF THE LORD
- It is the way of Wisdom
- The Flood
- Sodom & Gomora
- Wicked servant (Matthew 24)
- God is the source
WHAT DOES MERCY LOOK LIKE? (How is it seen? What does it bring to our lives?)
- Comfort, Everlasting kindness, Goodness, Mercy, Reconciliation, Forgiveness of our sins, Divine guidance, God’s favor & glory, Healing, Deliverance, Joy & gladness, Praise, Happiness, Life, Righteousness, Honor, Help, Grace, Delight, Blessing
OUR RESPONSE – PERSONAL APPLICATION
- Sing and praise, show kindness and mercy, present bodies as living sacrifices, thankfulness, wisdom, etc.
- Grace and mercy is wonderful! Let’s live worthy of His mercy. Let’s not abuse His mercy or be presumptuous. Let’s continue to abide in Him. Let’s be vessels & channels of mercy to those around us…