God’s righteous judgments prevailed!
…Worship God! For the TESTIMONY OF JESUS is the spirit of prophecy.” – Revelations 19:10
- Judgment is a good thing. (People who falsely teach that God is not a God of judgment are wrong – it is part of His revelation) He is a God of GRACE and JUDGMENT
- Justice & righteousness prevails.
- The righteous are vindicated (defended)… We are delivered from oppression. The Lord judges our enemies & delivers us.
- He brings Judgment upon the wicked; rewards the righteous.
- “Vengeance is mine, I will repay,” says the Lord
JESUS IS THE JUDGE
- Jesus came to bring judgment into the world.
- He will judge the nations, and separate the sheep from the goats.
- The Father has committed all judgment to JESUS.
- Jesus’ judgment is righteous. He will judge the world in righteousness.
- His Words will judge us.
- He is the Supreme (Sovereign) Being with the authority to hear and determine causes. He is righteous and does right.
- He will judge the righteous & the wicked. He will judge us according to our ways.
DEFINITION of JUDGMENT: (briefly)
- Act of judging; determining the truth & the implementation of justice
- Pronouncement of doom upon the guilty.
- Discerning right & wrong, good & evil
MERCY AND JUDGMENT
- The goodness AND severity (strictness) of God). Goodness if we continue in His goodness… otherwise we will be cut off!
- If we do not abide (continue) we will be cut off, wither, die & be burned.
- All His ways are judgment – He is just and right!
HIS RIGHTEOUS JUDGMENTS
- The Lord’s judgments are true and righteous & holy.
- He is exalted in judgment. He executes judgment & righteousness on the earth.
- His judgment brings blessing to the nations.
- He delights in judgment.
- Some despise His righteous judgments – His wrath will be poured out upon them.
STORIES & ILLUSTRATIONS
- Noah & his family were saved (the RIGHTEOUS).
- The WICKED were destroyed.
- The LAST DAYS – FIRE
- The WICKED will be destroyed.
- The RIGHTEOUS will be saved.
- There are many scoffers in these last days
- Surely judgment is coming
- Sodom & Gomorrah
- The RIGHTEOUS were saved.
- The WICKED were destroyed.
- Egyptians – plagues (light/darkness)
- There was thick darkness over the land of Egypt
- The Israelites had light in their dwellings.
- JUDGMENT was pronounced upon them for their wickedness.
- When the city sincerely repented, the Lord spared them for several hundred more years. Their judgment was delayed.
- Golden calf
- The Israelites made an idol
- (Moses burned it in the fire, ground it into powder – put it into the water & made them drink of it.)
- (They were put to shame before their enemies.)
- (3,000 men were slain.)
- The Lord plagued the people because they made the calf…
- Haman (Story of Esther)
- Haman made an evil plot to destroy the Jews.
- Instead of them being destroyed, he & his sons were destroyed.
- He was hung on the same gallows he had made for Mordecai.
- God’s righteous judgments prevailed!
- Their enemies were trying to stop their work of rebuilding the temple.
- King Darius commanded the work to go forward, and if anyone tried to stop it, they were to be executed.
- IF you forsake the Lord and serve foreign gods, THEN He will turn and do you harm and consume you, after He has done you good.”
- Deuteronomy 28 (Blessings & curses)
- Blessings upon the obedient
- Curses upon the disobedient
- There are consequences for our decisions
- Israel / Judah (captivity / Dispersion – James)
- Wise foolish
- Ananias & Saphira
- They sold a possession, & brought part of it to the disciples.
- They lied about how much they were giving to the Lord.
- The Lord was not pleased, and both of them were killed right on the spot.
- It produced the fear of God with those who observed these things…
- Didn’t glorify God – stricken with worms & died
- Hebrews 9:27 – It is appointed once to die, and then the JUDGMENT.
- Everyone will give account for himself when we stand before the judgment seat of Christ, and be rewarded or punished for the things we have done.
- Everyone will be judged – what will happen to the disobedient? (Destruction)
- Revelation – many references to the Lord’s righteous judgments upon the wicked…
- Proverbs 2:21-22 – The UPRIGHT shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it. 22 But the WICKED shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.
- The ungodly will not stand in the judgment… – they will be punished
- The godly will be delivered & rewarded
- Although the Lord is abundant in mercy – he will not clear the guilty!
- Let’s have a healthy fear of the Lord!
- Knowing God is a God of judgment, let’s plead for His mercy!
- Praise God for His mercy – we have now obtained mercy through the blood of Jesus!
- Not everything is acceptable to the Lord.
- Submit to His Lordship – be obedient.
- Live by His Word… follow after righteousness.
- Heed His warnings.
WARNINGS – Prepare to meet God! (Accept His Lordship; Backsliders return)
- PRAYER – “as you bring JUDGMENT – remember MERCY”
- Be wise
- Fear the Lord
- Appreciate His MERCIFUL KINDNESS & TRUTH
- Sing & rejoice with thanksgiving
- KNOW the Lord
- Serve Him faithfully