He is our Jehovah-Rapha! The Lord Who Heals!
Exodus 15:26 – He said, “If you listen carefully to the Lord your God and do what is right in His eyes, if you pay attention to His commands and keep all His decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you.”
- The Hebrew word rophe or rapha – means “heal, “cure,” “restore,” or “make whole.”
- God revealed himself as Yahweh Rophe, ” the LORD who heals.
- God is the source of all healing.
Matthew 4:23-24 – Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people. News about Him spread all over Syria, and people brought to Him all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed; and He healed them.
- JESUS proclaims the good news about the kingdom of God.
- What is that?
Healing every disease and sickness.
Suffering in Pain, demon-possessed,
Paralyzed, and heal them all.
JESUS is our healer!
- Healing is one of the finished works of Jesus on the Cross as well as our salvation.
- Isaiah 53:5 – But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on Him, and by His wounds, we are healed.
- 1 Peter 2:24 – “He himself bore our sins” in His body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by His wounds, you have been healed.”
- Psalms 103:3 – Who forgives all your sins, Who heals all your diseases;
- “Sozo” is the Greek word for salvation
- According to Strong’s Concordance, “Sozo” also carries the idea of being physically healed of diseases and being delivered from your enemy. In the spiritual sense, that enemy is the devil and his demons.
3 WAYS JESUS HEALS US
- (The example of paralyzed person his 3 friends helped him)
- Mark 2:5 – Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, “My child, your sins are forgiven.”
- Mark 2: 9-12 – Is it easier to say to the paralyzed man ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or ‘Stand up, pick up your mat, and walk’? So I will prove to you that the Son of Man has the authority on earth to forgive sins.” Then Jesus turned to the paralyzed man and said… “Stand up, pick up your mat, and go home!” And the man jumped up, grabbed his mat, and walked out through the stunned onlookers. They were all amazed and praised God, exclaiming, “We’ve never seen anything like this before!”
- He was healed spiritually as well as physically!!!
- Luke 13:10-16 – One Sabbath day as Jesus was teaching in a synagogue, He saw a woman who had been crippled by an evil spirit. She had been bent double for eighteen years and was unable to stand up straight. When Jesus saw her, He called her over and said, “Dear woman, you are healed of your sickness!” Then He touched her, and instantly she could stand straight. How she praised God! But the leader in charge of the synagogue was indignant that Jesus had healed her on the Sabbath day. “There are six days of the week for working,” he said to the crowd. “Come on those days to be healed, not on the Sabbath.” But the Lord replied, “You hypocrites! Each of you works on the Sabbath day! Don’t you untie your ox or your donkey from its stall on the Sabbath and lead it out for water? This dear woman, a daughter of Abraham, has been held in bondage by Satan for eighteen years. Isn’t it right that she be released, even on the Sabbath?”
- Sicknesses involve spiritual problems because of sin.
- The only solution is Jesus’ death on the cross, He paid for it.
2. EMOTIONAL HEALING
- Psalms 147:3
- He heals those who are suffering emotionally
- He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.
- Those humble
- Those contrite
- Those heartbroken because of sin
- Jeremiah 30:17 – I will give you back your health and heal your wounds,” says the Lord.
- Psalms 23:3 – He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake.
- He heals us in our:
3. HEALING PHYSICALLY
- Psalms 41:3 – The Lord will sustain and strengthen him on his sickbed; In his illness, You will restore him to health.
- Jeremiah 17:14 – Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; Save me and I will be saved, For You are my praise.
- Any kind of Sicknesses
- These things are not from God.
Here are some hindrances of healing:
- Matthew 6:14-15 – If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. 15 But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.
2. Unconfessed Sin
- Isaiah 59:2 – But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.
- James 5:16 – Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
3. Lack Of Persistence
- Luke 11:5-10 – Then Jesus said to them, “Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have no food to offer him.’ And suppose the one inside answers, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is already locked, and my children and I are in bed. I can’t get up and give you anything.’ I tell you, even though he will not get up and give you the bread because of friendship, yet because of your shameless audacity he will surely get up and give you as much as you need. “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
- Mark 6:4-6 – Then Jesus told them, “A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his relatives and his own family.” And because of their unbelief, he couldn’t do any mighty miracles among them except to place his hands on a few sick people and heal them.
- James 4:6 – “God opposes the proud but favors the humble.”
We can be healed by using the name of Jesus
- Acts 3:6-9 – Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.” And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up, and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God. And all the people saw him walking and praising God.
- Philippians 2:9-11 – Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
We can be healed by faith.
- James 5:15 – And the prayer of faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.
- Hebrews 11:1 – Now faith brings our hopes into reality and becomes the foundation needed to acquire the things we long for. It is all the evidence required to prove what is still unseen.
- Hebrews 11:6 – But without faith, no one can please God. We must believe that God is real and rewards everyone who searches for him.
- Matthew 19:26 – Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
- Mark 11:24 – Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
- Mark 5:34 – And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace, and be healed of your disease.”
- Jesus Christ never changes! He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Hebrews 13:8)
He healed people before!
He heals people today and forever.
Praise God! He is our healer.