Surely there is a reward for the righteous… Psalms 58:11
1.Jesus is our Great Rewarder
- Hebrews 11:6 – But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a Rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
- Colossians 3:23 – And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.
- Psalm 58:11 – So that men will say, “Surely there is a reward for the righteous; Surely He is God who judges in the earth.”
- Isaiah 40:10 – Behold, the Lord God shall come with a strong hand, And His arm shall rule for Him; Behold, His reward is with Him, And His work before Him.
- Matthew 16:24-27 – 24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?
- For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.
- Revelations 11:18 – And the time of the dead, that they should be judged, And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, and those who fear Your name, small and great.
2.God wants to celebrate you!!! Both now and in eternity!
- Zephaniah 3:17 NKJV – The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.
3.The Judgment Seat of Christ
- Great White Throne judgment – Determines your destiny
- (Revelations 20:11-1) We aren’t focusing on this today – but rather The Bema Judgment Seat – A Reward Ceremony for Christians!
- 2 Corinthians 5:9-11 – Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 11 Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men…
- Romans 14:10, 12 – For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ…12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God.
4.The Test of Your Works
- I Corinthians 3:11-15 – But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
5.Think of Rewards as “Wages” and payday is coming!
- Revelation 22:12 – “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work…what he has done.
- Matthew 6:7 – God who sees in secret will reward you openly.
- Romans 2:6 – “God will repay each person according to what they have done.
6.Lay up your treasures in heaven.
- Matthew 6:19-20 – “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Don’t let this life’s cares cause you to be unfruitful.
- Mark 4:18-20 – Now these are the ones sown among thorns; they are the ones who hear the word, 19 and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. 20 But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”
7.It Will Be Better Than We Could Imagine!
- 1 Corinthians 2:9 – But it is just as the Scriptures say, “What God has planned for people who love him is more than eyes have seen or ears have heard. It has never even entered our minds!”
- Psalm 63:3 – Because Your lovingkindness is better than life, My lips shall praise You.
8.What we know will earn us rewards:
- Let’s keep on doing what we know will earn us rewards –things like:
- Patiently enduring through trials,
- Graciously sharing our faith,
- Steadfastly staying on course until God calls us home,
- Faithfully shepherding God’s sheep,
- Generously investing our money in things of eternal value,
- Unselfishly using our gifts and abilities to serve the Lord,
- Maintaining an effective prayer life,
- Doing our job well–even our secular jobs–
- Loving our enemies,
- Growing in the likeness of Christ.
- I Corinthians 9:24-27 – You know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize. So run to win! 25 All those who compete in the games use self-control so they can win a crown. That crown is an earthly thing that lasts only a short time, but our crown will never be destroyed. 26 So I do not run without a goal. I fight like a boxer who is hitting something—not just the air. 27 I treat my body hard and make it my slave so that I myself will not be disqualified after I have preached to others.
- 1 Corinthians 9:24 – You know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize. So run to win!
- “Is this a selfish motive – to obey God and please Him just to get a reward?” Our greatest motive is just to give glory to God…but it isn’t wrong also to obey Him in order to earn a reward.
- 1 Corinthians 9:25 – “All those who compete in the games use self-control so they can win a crown. That crown is an earthly thing that lasts only a short time, but our crown will never be destroyed.
- 1 Corinthians 9:26a – So I do not run without a goal.
- 1 Corinthians 9:26b – I fight like a boxer who is hitting something—not just the air.
- 1 Corinthians 9:27 – I treat my body hard and make it my slave, so that I myself will not be disqualified after I have preached to others.
- He actually treats his body hard and he makes it his slave. He exercises total self-discipline, willing to make any personal sacrifice necessary, lest after calling others to follow Christ, he himself is disqualified from receiving his reward.
- If we don’t want to lose our reward, it will require a life of self-control and self-discipline.
10.We don’t want to be ashamed or lose our rewards
- I John 2:28 – “And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.
- 2 John 1:8 – “Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward.”
Conclusion: Every Christian should look forward to the rewards that Jesus will give us. Yet nothing could ever compare to the splendor of seeing and just being with our Lord and Savior forever. His love is so great for His people. He will rejoice over us with joy and give us things that are far better than we can imagine. He is truly wonderful and truly a Great Rewarder!