Jesus is our great encourager!
Things that Discourage Us:
- Sickness or health issues
- Delays/ unanswered prayer
- Lack of finances
- Difficulties (overwhelming circumstances)
- Lack of appreciation/ affirmation
- False accusations/ critical word
- Repetitive sin
- Feeling defeated/ failures
Isaiah 40:31 – But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.
John 16:33 – These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
1 Peter 2:21 – For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
ENCOURAGEMENT FROM THE PAST
- Romans 15:4 – For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
- David at Ziklag
- They wept aloud until they had no strength left to weep (1 Samuel 30:4)
- Each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters.
- David was greatly distressed because the people spoke of stoning him and he had to cope with the loss of his own family also.
- But David felt strengthened and encouraged in the Lord his God. (He encouraged himself in the Lord!)
ENCOURAGEMENT FROM THE REVEALED FUTURE
- Romans 8:18 – For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
- Revelations 21:4 – And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”
- James 1:12 – Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
- 1 Peter 1:4 – to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
- 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 – 24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.
- Philippians 3:14 – I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
- Hebrews 12:1-8 – 1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. 4 You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin. 5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: “My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; 6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives.” 7 If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? 8 But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons.
- 1 Peter 5: 4 and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.
ENCOURAGEMENT FOR THE PRESENT
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 3 – 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any [a]trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 – 16 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, 17 comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work.
- Ephesians 4:29 – Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.
- Proverbs 16:24 – Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.
Let’s be diligent in keeping our hearts right!
- We can’t be an encourager if our heart is not right
- A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. (Luke 6:45)
Warning against our words
- Matthew 12:36-37 – 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words, you will be condemned.”
Let’s choose to be an encourager
- To ourself
- To our family
- To other people especially to our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Hebrews 10:25 – not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
- Don’t let discouragement stay too long. Let go and let God.
- Don’t ever lose hope. Don’t ever give up. Let’s encourage one another and never forget that Jesus is the source of our encouragement. We can only encourage because of the encouragement we received from Him.
- He is our great encourager!