Be truly glad! There is wonderful joy ahead!
Two Kinds of Happiness
- This comes to us when the circumstances are just right; when things are pleasant and we are free of troubles.
- This type of happiness is temporary and shallow.
- It always disappears and the desire for true happiness remains.
2.Happiness that comes from God
- It is a happiness that lasts.
- It brings inner peace regardless of the circumstances
- Happiness through Jesus is contentment that fills the soul, even if the eyes are filled with tears.
12 BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES THAT CAN HELP US WALK IN JOY
1.Joy is something God can restore
- PSALM 51:12 – Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. (ESV)
2.Joy is found in God’s presence
- PSALM 16:11 – You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (ESV)
3.Joy is the result of righteousness
- PSALM 97:11 – Light shines on the godly, and joy on those whose hearts are right. (NLT)
- ECCLESIASTES 2:26 – God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him. (NLT)
4.Joy is found in delighting in God’s Word & obeying it
- PSALMS 119:162 – I rejoice at your word, as one that finds great treasure.
- JOHN 13:17 – Now that you know these things, happy are you if you do them.
5.An enduring faith ultimately brings happiness.
- JAMES 5:11 – As you know, we count them happy those who have endured…
- HEBREWS 12:2 – looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
6.Joy is produced by righteous hope
- PROVERBS 10:28 – The hope of the righteous brings joy… (ESV)
- ROMANS 12:12 – Let this hope burst forth within you, releasing a continual joy. Don’t give up in a time of trouble, but commune with God at all times. (TPT)
7.Faith brings great joy
- ROMANS 5:1-2 – Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. 2 Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory.
- What incredible joy bursts forth within us as we keep on celebrating our hope of experiencing God’s glory! (TPT)
- 1 PETER 1:8 – You love him, although you have not seen him, and you believe in him, although you do not now see him. So you rejoice with a great and glorious joy which words cannot express (GNBUK)
8.Joy is produced by the Holy Spirit
- GALATIANS 5:22 – But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy… (ESV)
- GALATIANS 5:25 – Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (NIV)
- EPHESIANS 4:30 – The Holy Spirit of God has sealed you in Jesus Christ until you experience your full salvation. So never grieve the Spirit of God or take for granted his holy influence in your life. (TPT)
9.Joy fills our hearts as we remember the good things God has done through the people He has placed in our lives
- PHILIPPIANS 1:3-5 – I thank my God for you every time I think of you; and every time I pray for you all, I pray with joy because of the way in which you have helped me in the work of the gospel from the very first day until now.
10.Joy comes when we trust the Lord
- PSALM 40:4 – Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord… (NLT)
- PROVERBS 16:20 – He who heeds the word wisely will find good, And whoever trusts in the LORD, happy is he.
11.Joy comes from remembering the goodness of God in our lives
- PSALM 103:2 – Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits.
- Let all that I am praise the LORD; may I never forget the good things he does for me. (NLT)
12.Joy comes from serving the Lord
- 1 CORINTHIANS 15:57 – So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.
- 2 CHRONICLES 15:7 – But as for you, be strong and don’t get discouraged, for your work will be rewarded.
- ROMANS 12:11 – Be enthusiastic to serve the Lord, keeping your passion toward him boiling hot! Radiate with the glow of the Holy Spirit and let him fill you with excitement as you serve him. (TPT)
So be truly glad! There is wonderful joy ahead!