There is power in the blood of Jesus!
1 PETER 1:19 –but with the PRECIOUS BLOOD OF JESUS, a lamb without blemish or defect.
HEBREWS 9:7, 12 – 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by His own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.
LEVITICUS 17:11, 14 – 11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life. 14 because the life of every creature is its blood. That is why I have said to the Israelites, “You must not eat the blood of any creature, because the life of every creature is its blood; anyone who eats it must be cut off.”
ROMANS 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
HEBREWS 9:7, 9, 25 – But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own.
HEBREWS 9:4 – It is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
HEBREWS 9:14 – How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!
HEBREWS 9:12 – He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption.
God will accept nothing but the Precious Blood of His Only Begotten Son, the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for the Atonement of our sins.
JESUS – The lamb Slain From the Foundation of the World!
- JESUS shed His BLOOD – so we can do the will of God (Luke 22:44)
- JESUS shed His BLOOD – So we can be healed in our bodies (Matthew 27:26; 1 Peter 2:24)
- JESUS shed His BLOOD – so we can have a sound mind (Matthew 27:29)
- JESUS shed His BLOOD – so we have clean hands and a pure heart
- JESUS shed His BLOOD – so we don’t have to sin (John 19:18)
- JESUS shed His BLOOD – so I can have a new heart (John 19:34)
WHAT DOES THE BLOOD DO?
- ROMANS 3:25 – whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
- PROPITIATION – the act of gaining or regaining the favor or goodwill of someone or something: the act of propitiating
- ROMANS 5:9 – Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
- He willingly shed His own blood not for his own sins (he had none), but for ours.
- The spilling of his blood to cover our sins made possible our sharing in his righteousness by joining us to him through faith.
- Without his blood, our unrighteousness would remain unaddressed. We could not stand with him at the final judgment and receive with him his Father’s declaration, “Righteous.”
- EPHESIANS 1:7 – In Him, we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
- TO REDEEM – To redeem means to buy back or secure the freedom of someone in bondage.
- COLOSSIANS 2:13-14 – You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. 14 He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross.
WHAT SIN DOES IN OUR LIVES:
1. It separates us from God (Isiah 59:12)
2. It makes us feel guilty (Psalms 38:4)
3. It allows Satan to accuse us (Revelations 12:40)
4. Demands the penalty (death) (Ezekiel 18:4)
- COLOSSIANS 2:15 – In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross.
- when Jesus spilled his own blood in our place, to forgive our sins, he freed us from captivity
- He redeemed us from Satan and the record of debt and legal demands against us.
- EPHESIANS 2:13 – But now you have been united with Christ Jesus. Once you were far away from God, but now you have been brought near to him through the blood of Christ.
- Our sin and rebellion against God have put distance between us and him.
- He draws near not to a particular ethnic people, but to all who receive his Son in faith, no matter who they are or how far they had run.
- 1 Peter 3:18 – Christ suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God.
- COLOSSIANS 1:19-20 – For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, 20 and through him, God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of Christ’s blood on the cross.
RECONCILE – TO RESTORE TO FRIENDSHIP; TO SETTLE OR RESOLVE, TO SUBMIT TO SOMETHING unpleasant; and to balance accounts.
It is “the blood of his cross” that makes peace between God and man.
Jesus did not shed his blood by accident. This was no random death. Tragic as it was, it was deliberate and voluntary. He was executed unjustly, and his blood was spilled on purpose at the cross, both by sinful men and the holy God-man.
They took his life, and He gave it. In doing so, he absorbed the righteous wrath of God, granted us his full legal acceptance, purchased our true freedom, restored our most important relationship, and made peace for us with God himself.
JESUS PAID THE PENALTY OF SIN FOR US BY SHEDDING HIS BLOOD
WHAT THE SHED BLOOD OF CHRIST HAS BROUGHT US:
1. Eternal Life – John 6:53; 54
2. Fellowship restored
3. We are redeemed – Ephesians 1:7
4. It dissolves all of Satan’s legal rights of ownership – Colossians 1:14
5. It put God on man’s side against the Devil – Romans 8:31, 33, 34
His blood is truly precious to us. Infinitely valuable. Because Christ himself, and God himself in him, is precious to us. And because the blood of Christ, more precious than any other means, fulfills our deepest aches and longings in God, not just temporarily but finally and forever.
- When evangelist John Wesley (1703-1791) was returning home from a service one night, he was robbed. The thief, however, found his victim to have only a little money and some Christian literature. As the bandit was leaving, Wesley called out, “Stop! I have something more to give you.” The surprised robber paused. “My friend,” said Wesley, “you may live to regret this sort of life. If you ever do, here’s something to remember: ‘The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin!'” The thief hurried away, and Wesley prayed that his words might bear fruit.
- Years later, Wesley was greeting people after a Sunday service when he was approached by a stranger. What a surprise to learn that this visitor, now a believer in Christ as a successful businessman, was the one who had robbed him years before! “I owe it all to you,” said the transformed man. “Oh no, my friend,” Wesley exclaimed, “not to me, but to the precious blood of Christ that cleanses us from all sin!”
- Our Daily Bread, October 1, 1994.
THERE IS POWER IN THE BLOOD OF JESUS!!!