Jesus said, “I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
I. GOD INVITES US TO COME TO HIM SO THAT WE CAN HAVE REST IN HIM
- Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden
- JOHN 6:37 – All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.
- ISAIAH 55:1 – “Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
- REVELATION 22:17 – The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price.
- Those who come to Jesus find rest and comfort no matter how difficult their situation is.
- Example Death of Lazarus – Jesus comfort Mary and Martha – JOHN 11:17-35
- 1. Jesus also feels the grief of Mary and Martha.
- He understands how we feel when we lose our loved one in life he feels the pain.
- We can also experience comfort and rest.
- PSALMS 34:18 – The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
- 2 CORINTHIANS 1:3-4 – Praise be to God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
- 2. Fear
- Psalms 46:1-3 – God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the seaquake with their surging… though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
- 3. Financial stress
- Jesus ordered Peter to fish. The first one he caught, he opened the mouth of the fish and he saw the money to pay the tax.
- GENESIS 50:21 – So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.
- 4. Anxiety and worry
- PHILIPPIANS 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. and your minds in Christ Jesus. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- 1 PETER 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you.
- We are blessed because we have Jesus.
- Nothing is impossible to Him.
- He lives in us.
- HEBREWS 4:16 – Let us, therefore, come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
- It is a command with a promise.
II. LET US LEARN FROM THE EXAMPLE OF JESUS CHRIST, IT GIVES REST TO OUR SOULS
- MATTHEW 11:29 – Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for souls
- JOHN 13:15 – For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
- HEBREWS 12:2 – fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him, he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- 1 PETER 2:21 – To this, you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
- The Greek word of yoke is zugos
- A. Bullocks necks of two bulls.
- The other one is a mature and well-known bull or cow the other one is the student.
- B. We are the student and the Lord Jesus is our teacher.
- C. For I am gentle and lowly in heart
Our teacher the Lord Jesus is humble and meek. His teaching was light.
I think our hearts and minds are just focused on Him even though what we are going through is difficult it becomes easy because we know that all situations are under control.
We can rest because of His promises to us.
III. REST IS AVAILABLE
- He gave us rest as a gift and as a way to know His character.
- We can rest in His presence through praise and worship.
- ACTS 3:19-20 – …so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before…
- We experience the rest of our souls as we read and meditate on His words.
- PSALM 1:2-3 – But His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law, he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.
- Through prayer, we can experience rest
- JAMES 5:13 – Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.