Let’s continue to walk in the fear of God!
I. The Fear of the Lord is part of the Gospel, taught by Jesus and the disciples.
II. Isaiah 8:13 – DO NOT FEAR ANYTHING EXCEPT THE LORD GOD ALMIGHTY
III. IT PLEASES THE LORD FOR US TO FEAR HIM!
IV. THE LACK OF THE FEAR OF THE LORD BRINGS BIG PROBLEMS!
V. GOD IS SOVEREIGN! HE IS OUR CREATOR! HE IS TO BE REVERED!
- SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD
- Sovereignty refers to dominant power or SUPREME AUTHORITY. The Sovereign is the one who exercises power without limitation.
- It often describes someone who has supreme power or authority, they have power over themselves; their government is under their own control…
THE FEAR OF THE LORD 2 “Blessings/Judgment”
SOME OF THE REASONS WHY WE NEED TO FEAR GOD!!!
I. YOU ARE BLESSED WHEN YOU FEAR GOD!!!
- THERE IS A BLESSING!!!
- Psalm 115:12-13 – The Lord has been mindful of us; He will bless us; …13 He will bless those who FEAR THE LORD, both small and great.
- Psalm 112:1 – Praise the Lord. Blessed are those who FEAR THE LORD, who find great delight in his commands.
- Psalms 128:1 – Blessed are all who FEAR THE LORD, who walk in obedience to him.
- IT BRINGS RICHES, HONOR, AND LONG LIFE!!!
- Psalm 15:4 – …but HONORS those who FEAR THE LORD; who keeps an oath even when it hurts, and does not change their mindProverbs 19:23 – The FEAR OF THE LORD leads to LIFE; then one rests content, untouched by trouble.Proverbs 10:27 (Deuteronomy 6:24) – The FEAR OF THE LORD adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short
- Proverbs 22:4 – Humility is the fear of the Lord; its wages are RICHES and HONOR and LIFE.
- THINGS GO WELL FOR OUR FAMILY
- Deuteronomy 5:29 – O that there were such an heart in them, that they would FEAR ME, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
- IT GIVES SPIRITUAL CLEANSING
- Psalm 19:9-10 – 9 The FEAR OF THE LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
- GUIDANCE, INSTRUCTION, AND PROSPERITY
- Psalm 25:12-14 – 12 Who are those who FEAR THE LORD? He will show them the path they should choose. 13 They will live in prosperity, and their children will inherit the land. 14 The Lord is a friend to those who fear him. He teaches them his covenant.
- BLESSING OF PROTECTION
- Proverbs 14:26 – Those who FEAR THEW LORD are SECURE; he will be a REFUGE for their children.
- Proverbs 19:23 – FEAR OF THE LORD leads to life, bringing SECURITY and PROTECTION from harm.
- BLESSING OF GOD’S FAITHFUL PROVISION
- Psalm 34:9 – FEAR THE LORD, you his godly people, for those who fear him WILL HAVE all they need.
- Psalm 111:5 – He PROVIDES food for those who FEAR HIM; he remembers his covenant forever.
- EXAMPLE: ELISHA AND THE WIDOW’S OIL
- 2 Kings 4:1 – One day the widow of a member of the group of prophets came to Elisha and cried out, “My husband who served you is dead, and you know HOW HE FEARED THE LORD. But now a creditor has come, threatening to take my two sons as slaves.”
- SO MANY WANT GOD’S BLESSINGS, BUT DON’T REALIZE THAT ALL THE BLESSINGS WE TALK ABOUT ARE CONNECTED WITH AND DEPENDENT ON LIVING IN THE FEAR OF THE LORD!
- DEUTERONOMY 6:24 – And the Lord our God commanded us to obey all these decrees and to FEAR HIM so he can CONTINUE TO BLESS US and preserve our lives, as he has done to this day.
II. JUDGMENT IS COMING!
- 1 Peter 1:16-19 – 16 For the Scriptures say, “You must be holy because I am holy.” 17 And remember that the heavenly Father to whom you pray has no favorites. He will JUDGE or reward you according to what you do. So you must live in REVERENT FEAR OF HIM during your time here as “temporary residents.” 18 For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And it was not paid with mere gold or silver, which lose their value. 19 It was the precious blood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God.
- 2 Corinthians 5:10 – For we must all stand before Christ to be JUDGED. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.
- Psalms 19:8-10 – The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;. The FEAR OF THE LORD is clean, enduring forever; The JUDGEMENTS of the Lord are true and righteous altogether… More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
- Proverbs 1:28-30 – “Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and DID NOT choose the FEAR THE LORD, they would have none of my counsel and despised my every rebuke.
- Malachi 3:5 – And I will come near you for JUDGMENT; I will be a swift witness Against sorcerers, Against adulterers, Against perjurers, Against those who exploit wage earners and widows and orphans, And against those who turn away an alien—
Because they DO NOT FEAR ME,” Says the Lord of hosts.
- 2 Kings 17:6-8 – In the ninth year of Hoshea, the king of Assyria took Samaria and carried Israel away to Assyria, and placed them in Halah and by the Habor, the River of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes. 7 For so it was that the children of Israel had sinned against the Lord their God, who had brought them up out of the land of Egypt, from under the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and they had feared other gods, and had walked in the statutes of the nations whom the Lord had cast out from before the children of Israel, and of the kings of Israel, which they had made.
- 2 Kings 17:25, 28 – 25 And it was so, at the beginning of their dwelling there, that they did not FEAR THE LORD; therefore the Lord sent lions among them, which killed some of them. Then one of the priests whom they had carried away from Samaria came and dwelt in Bethel, and taught them how they should FEAR THE LORD.
- 2 Kings 17:32-39 – They FEARED THE LORD, yet served their own gods – according to the rituals of the nations from among whom they were carried away.
- 2 Chronicles 19:6-10 – 6 and he said to them, “Always think carefully before pronouncing judgment. Remember that you do not judge to please people but to please the Lord. He will be with you when you render the verdict in each case. 7Fear the Lord and judge with integrity, for the Lord our God does not tolerate perverted justice, partiality, or the taking of bribes.”
- Daniel 4 – 17 “‘The decision is announced by messengers, the holy ones declare the verdict, so that the living may know that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes and sets over them the lowliest of people.’ 22Your Majesty, you are that tree! You have become great and strong; your greatness has grown until it reaches the sky, and your dominion extends to distant parts of the earth. 25 You will be driven away from people and will live with the wild animals; you will eat grass like the ox and be drenched with the dew of heaven. Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes 26The command to leave the stump of the tree with its roots means that your kingdom will be restored to you when you acknowledge that Heaven rules. 27Therefore, Your Majesty, be pleased to accept my advice: Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed. It may be that then your prosperity will continue.” 28All this happened to King Nebuchadnezzar. 29 Twelve months later, as the king was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, 30he said, “Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?” 33Immediately what had been said about Nebuchadnezzar was fulfilled. He was driven away from people and ate grass like the ox. His body was drenched with the dew of heaven until his hair grew like the feathers of an eagle and his nails like the claws of a bird. 34At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever. His dominion is an eternal dominion; his kingdom endures from generation to generation. 36At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. 37Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.
THE FEAR OF THE LORD KEEPS PEOPLE FROM SINNING!
- Exodus 20:18-20
- 2 Chronicles 19:6-10 –8 In Jerusalem, Jehoshaphat appointed some of the Levites and priests and clan leaders in Israel to serve as judges for cases involving the Lord’s regulations and for civil disputes. 9 These were his instructions to them: “You must always act in the fear of the Lord, with faithfulness and an undivided heart. 10 Whenever a case comes to you from fellow citizens in an outlying town, whether a murder case or some other violation of God’s laws, commands, decrees, or regulations, you must warn them not to sin against the Lord, so that he will not be angry with you and them. Do this and you will not be guilty.
- 1 Samuel 12:18 – So Samuel called to the Lord, and the Lord sent thunder and rain that day; and all the people greatly feared the Lord and Samuel.
- 1 Samuel 12:23-25 – 23 Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way. 24 Only FEAR THE LORD, and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you. 25 But if you still do wickedly, you shall be swept away, both you and your king.”
- REVELATION 14:7 – saying with a loud voice, “Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.”
DEVELOP A CLOSER, INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD – RELATING TO HIM RESPECTFULLY & REVERENTLY!
THE LORD’S SECRETS ARE REVEALED TO THOSE WHO FEAR HIM
- Psalm 25:14 – The secret of the Lord is with those WHO FEAR HIM,
And He will show them His covenant.
REASONS WHY WE NEED TO HAVE A CLEAR COMMITMENT TO WALK IN THE FEAR OF GOD!
1. Jesus is going to judge us according to what we have done in our bodies while here in this earth.
2. Because of the awesome rice that He aided for our redemption. Jesus’ act of obedience on the cross brings an awesome reverence and respect for God!
3. It helps give godly purpose to our lives:
- Ecclesiastes 12:13 – Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all.
4. God instructs us to – it is very important to the Lord, and for us!
5. It is the wise way to live!
6. He promises that if we fear Him, He will bless us!
7. However, those who do not fear the Lord will know torment, and not experience God’s blessings!
HOW THE FEAR OF GOD CAN BE DEMONSTRATED IN OUR LIVES!
- BY OBEDIENCE! – Deuteronomy 8:6
- BY OBSERVING THE MIGHTINESS AND GREATNESS OF GOD! – Joshua 4:24; I Samuel 12:24; Psalm 64:9
- BY NOT BEING REBELLIOUS! – I Samuel 12:14
- HELPING OTHERS TO UNDERSTAND THE LORD’S GREATNESS, AND LIVE IN THE FEAR OF GOD! – I Chronicles 16:30, Psalm 9:20, Psalm 33:8, Psalm 96:9, Psalm 40:3
- LETTING THE LIGHT SHINE FORTH FROM OUR LIVES! – Psalm 14:5; Psalm 60:4
THE FEAR OF THE LORD PRODUCES PRAISE AND GLORIFIES THE LORD!
- Psalm 22:23; Psalm 135:20
- Acts 19:16-17 – Fear fell on them all, and the Name of the Lord Jesus was magnified!
WILLINGNESS TO HAVE GODLY CHANGES IN OUR LIVES! – Psalm 55:19; 2 Corinthians 3:18; Psalm 119:79
FAITHFULNESS AND WHOLE-HEARTED SERVICE IN THE FEAR OF GOD! – 2 Chronicles 19:9; Psalm 2:11
WORSHIPING THE LORD WITH FEAR! – Psalm 5:7; Psalm 24:3, 4
DEVOTION TO THE LORD AND THE WORD! – Psalm 119:38
CHOOSE AS YOUR COMPANIONS THOSE THAT FEAR THE LORD! – Psalm 119:63
DON’T ENVY SINNERS – ALWAYS FEAR THE LORD! – Proverbs 23:17
THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS VERY IMPORTANT
- Matthew 10:28 – Don’t be in fear of those who can kill only the body but not your soul. FEAR ONLY GOD, who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Deuteronomy 10:12-22 – 12 “And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God REQUIRE of you? He requires only that you FEAR THE LORD YOUR GOD, and live in a way that pleases him, and love him and serve him with all your heart and soul.
Deuteronomy 8:6 – “So obey the commands of the Lord your God by walking in his ways and FEARING HIM.
Deuteronomy 13:4 – Serve only the Lord your God and FEAR HIM ALONE. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him.
LET’S CONTINUE TO WALK IN THE FEAR OF GOD!!!