Worship is loving Him and giving ourselves to be used for His purposes!
SCRIPTURE SONG: (Mark 12:29-30)
Hear O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord
I:And you shall love the Lord your God with all of your heart! (echo)
You shall love the Lord your God with all of your soul! (echo)
You shall love the Lord your God with all of your mind! (echo)
You shall love the Lord your God with all of your strength! (echo)
2 – Hear O Israel, the Lord your God is one Lord –
I: And you shall love your neighbor — as yourself! (echo)
You shall love your neighbor — as yourself! (echo)
You shall love the Lord your God in spirit and truth! (echo)
There’s no other commandments that are greater than these! (echo)
(Ending – Repeat last line 2 times)
Mark 12: 29-30– Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
I. EVERLASTING GOSPEL – to preach to them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue and people
- Fear God
- Give glory to Him (for the hour of His judgment is come)
- And WORSHIP HIM that made heaven and earth, and the fountain of waters.
II. JESUS IS WORTHY OF WORSHIP
- Revelation 5:9-10 – “YOU ARE WORTHY to take the scroll, and to open its seals; for You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; and we shall reign on the earth.”
- (IN CONTEXT) Revelation 5:2-13 – I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, “WHO IS WORTHY to open the scroll and to loose its seals?” 3 And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll, or to look at it. 4 So I wept much, because no one was found worthy to open and read the scroll, or to look at it. 5 But one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals.” 6 And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth. Then He came and took the scroll out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne. 8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they sang A NEW SONG, saying: “YOU ARE WORTHY to take the scroll, and to open its seals; for You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,10 And have made us kingsand priests to our God; and we shall reign on the earth.” Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, “Blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, forever and ever!
III. JESUS IS OUR CREATOR – WE ARE CREATED TO WORSHIP / PRAISE
- Revelation 4:11 – “You are worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power. For you created everything, and by Your will they exist and were CREATED.”
- Psalm 95:6 – Come, let us WORSHIP and bow down. Let us kneel before the Lord our MAKER…
- Isaiah 43:7 – “Bring all who claim me as their God, for I have MADE them for MY GLORY. It was I who CREATED them.”
- Psalm 100:2-4 – Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before His presence with singing.3 Know that the Lord, He is God; IT IS HE WHO HAS MADE US, and not we ourselves;We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.4 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
IV. WORSHIP GOD! (The True and Living God!)
- Revelation 22:9 – “…WORSHIP GOD!”
- We thank, praise, and worship God for who He is!
- 2 Samuel 22:4 / Psalm 18:3 – I will call upon the Lord, who IS WORTHY TO BE PRAISED; So shall I be saved from my enemies.
V. JESUS IS WORTHY OF PRAISE
- 2 Samuel 22:4 / Psalm 18:3 – I will call upon the Lord, who IS WORTHY TO BE PRAISED; So shall I be
- Psalm 145:3 – Great is the Lord and MOST WORTHY of praise his greatness no one can fathom (understand).
VI. WORSHIP IN THE FEAR OF GOD
- Psalm 5:7 – But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy; IN FEAR OF YOU I WILL WORSHIP toward Your holy temple.
VII. WORSHIP THE LORD GOD – AND HIM ONLY
- Exodus 34:14 – (for you shall worship no other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God), …
- Matthew 4:10 – It is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’ ”
VIII. WE BECOME LIKE WHO WE WORSHIP
- Let’s be changed into Jesus image – we are created to be like Him!
- Genesis 1:27 – So God created man in His own image; in the IMAGE OF GOD He created him; male and female He created them.
- Romans 8:29 – …whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the IMAGE OF HIS SON, …
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 – we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
Picture of Shrine in the yard – converted to a frame for the Word of God “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!”
IX. God is looking for WORSHIPERS – not just worship!
- I Peter 2:5,9 – …you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a HOLY PRIESTHOOD, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ… you are a chosen generation, a ROYAL PRIESTHOOD, a holy nation, HIS OWN SPECIAL PEOPLE, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH
- John 4:23-24 – …the hour is coming, and now is, when the TRUE WORSHIPERS will WORSHIP the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to WORSHIP HIM. 24 God is Spirit, and those who WORSHIP HIM must WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH.”
X. LOVING JESUS WITH OUR WHOLE HEART
- Lifestyle worship; Sacrificial praise and worship –Sharing; Bodies; Service; Substance; Magnify Him.
XI. Jesus is Worthy of our Worship – Let’s LIVE LIVES THAT ARE WORTHY OF JESUS…
- Ephesians 4:1 – I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to WALK WORTHY of the calling with which you were called…
- I Thessalonians 2:12 – …that you would WALK WORTHY of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.
- Colossians 1:10 – …that you may WALK WORTHY of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
- Romans 12:1 – And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly THE WAY TO WORSHIP HIM.
- WORSHIPING… Whole-heartedly; Humbly; With Holiness; With True Love; With Thankfulness; With Praise; By our Life-style & Conduct; Through Good Works; In a way that is Pleasing to the Lord; by Demonstrating Faith; Being ready for Jesus return; through Obedience – Doing the will of God…
- HOW CAN WE GLORIFY GOD?
- Praise him with your lips. Obey his words. Pray in Jesus’ name. Produce spiritual fruit (John 15:8; romans 1:13; fruit of the Spirit; Colossians 1:10; Galatians 5:22-23)
- Give generously, be faithful with our tithe and offerings (2 Cor. 9:13; Malachi 3:10)
- Live honorably among unbelievers (1 peter 2:12, matt. 5:16)
- Be faithful even when persecuted (1 Peter 4:16)
- WORSHIP is not just on Sunday, but happens every day and all the time in all of life.
- I Corinthians 10:31 – …So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it ALL for the GLORY OF GOD.
- Colossians 3:17 – And whatever you do, in word or deed, do it ALL in the name of the Lord Jesus, GIVING THANKS (praise) to God the Father through Him.
XII. TRUE WORSHIP / FALSE WORSHIP
- By being TRUE WORSHIPERS that WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH!
- Worship in spirit and truth
- John 4:23-24 – …the hour is coming, and now is, when the TRUE WORSHIPERS will WORSHIP the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to WORSHIP Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who WORSHIP Him MUST WORSHIP in spirit and truth.”
- Satan’s temptation
- Matthew 4:9,10 – And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and WORSHIP me.” Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall WORSHIP the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’
- Real worship is more than singing songs, real worship involves what Paul says in Romans 12:1-2; “your body as a living sacrifice.”
- Romans 12:1-2 – I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your SPIRITUAL WORSHIP.
- True worship shows God He is of the highest value in our life, worthy of praise, and adoration – by our lifestyle, the WAY WE LIVE!
- FALSE WORSHIP
- Matthew 15:7-8 (ESV) – You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: 8 “‘This people honors me with their lips, BUT THEIR HEART is far from me;
- False worship is the opposite of true worship!
XIII. ILLUSTRATIONS OF TRUE WORSHIP
- Daniel 3 – Story of Shadrach Meshach and Abednego — (They didn’t worship the false god, / They were faithful/loyal/obedient).
- David & bringing the ark to Jerusalem –
- Noah –
- Abraham –
- Blind man healed
- John 9:35-39 – Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when He had found him, He said to him, “Do you believe in the Son of God?” 36 He answered and said, “Who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?” 37 And Jesus said to him, “You have both seen Him and it is He who is talking with you.”38 Then he said, “Lord, I believe!” And HE WORSHIPED HIM.
- King Jehoshaphat and the singers
- 2 Chronicles 20:21 – …he (King Jehoshaphat) appointed those who should sing to the Lord, and who should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army and were saying:“ Praise the Lord, for His mercy endures forever.”…(and the enemies were defeated).
- Mary – pouring alabaster box of precious ointment at the feet of Jesus (extravagantly)
- Mary (mother of Jesus) Magnificat – magnified the Lord
- Revelation 4:10 – elders (& heavenly hosts) – worship Jesus
- Wise men
- Matthew 2:2 ,11 – …saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to WORSHIP HIM.”… And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and WORSHIPED HIM. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
XIV. EXAMPLES OF FALSE WORSHIP
- Worship of the golden calf (Aaron)
- Worship of the golden image (Nebuchadnezzar)
- Pharoah – double-minded
- Strange fire – Nadab & Abihu
- Israel’s Baal worship (Elijah)
- Israel’s fake/false gods… many
- Dagon – Philistines’ idolatrous god
- Bringing up ark – 1st time – wrong way (death of Uzzah – (2 Samuel 6)
XV. TRUE WORSHIP (Loving God) vs FALSE WORSHIP (Not loving God) – Cont.
- Love – Set affections on things above / Don’t serve 2 masters
- Body, soul, and spirit – Not just lip-service
- Contrast –
- Truth vs Deception
- Truth – Jesus – the only way to the Father
- False worship – not true, lies, deceptive & hypocritical
- Faithfulness vs. Unfaithfulness, false — unbelief; other gods
- Faith – Examples (Abraham / 3 Hebrews)
- Faith = Worship (Without faith impossible to please God / Faith without works is dead)
- Spirit vs not Holy Spirit led
- Delighting in the Lord – no pleasure in the Lord
- Seeking the Lord – not seeking the Lord
- Pleasing sacrifices – unacceptable sacrifices
XVI. THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE
- PURPOSE – (The Purpose Driven Life – check out book – chapters 7-10
- “The Lord made everything for His own purposes” Proverbs 16:4 (NLT)
- “Glorify” the Lord – Live for the glory of God (p 56-57)!
- I Corinthians 10:31 – whether we eat or drink do all to the glory of God
- Ephesians 3:21 – to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
- Heaven / Earth & everything in it.
- “The ultimate goal of the universe is to show the glory of God. It is the reason that everything exists – including you. God made it all for His glory! (p. 53)
- “Living for God’s glory is the greatest achievement we can accomplish with our lives.”
- Isaiah 43:7 –
- More Quotes
- “Everything was made for God’s glory and pleasure. You were planned for God’s pleasure! You exist for His benefit, His glory, His purpose, and His delight. Bringing enjoyment to God, living for His pleasure, is the first purpose of your life. Bringing pleasure to God is called – WORSHIP!” (8)
- Romans 11:36 – For everything comes from him and exists by his power and is intended for his glory. All glory to him forever! Amen. (NLT)
- Proverbs 16:4 – The Lord has made everything for his own purposes,
- Ephesians 1:8 – God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. (NLT) / having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, (NKJV)
- Psalm 147:11 – The Lord is pleased only with those who WORSHIP HIM and trust his love. (CEV)
- “God’s glory is best seen in Jesus”
- John 1:14 – “Recognize His glory, honor His glory, declare His glory, praise His glory, reflect His glory, and live for His glory – He deserves it!”
- Revelation 4:11 —
- “Sin is failing to give God glory” – Romans 3:23
- “We bring glory to God by worshiping Him. We worship God by enjoying Him, motivated by love, thanksgiving, and delight (not just duty)”
- “Worship is more than praising, singing, and prayer to God. It is loving Him, and giving ourselves to be used for His purposes. When you live your life for God’s glory, everything you do can become an act of worship.”