Unto Him Be Glory In The Church!
I. INTRO – THEME VERSES
- Ephesians3:21 –…Unto Him be GLORY in the church!
- Ephesians 5:26 –a GLORIOUS church!
- I Corinthians 10:31 –…do ALL to the GLORY OF GOD!
- Psalm 72:18-19 –…let the whole earth be filled with HIS GLORY!
II. IT IS OUR REASONABLE SERVICE
- John 3:16 – (God gave to us…)
- I Corinthians 6:20 – (it’s our opportunity to give back…) you were bought with a price, therefore glorify God…
III. GLORY DEFINED
- Nature and acts of God in self-manifestation” (what He essentially is and does, as exhibited in whatever way He reveals Himself…)
- Character and ways of God exhibited through Christ to and through believers.
- Brightness (light) or splendor (supernatural) emanating from God.
- Illustrations of light –
- 2 Corinthians 4:4-6 – …whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the GLORY of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine on them… For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the GLORY of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
- Isaiah 60:1,2 – 1 Arise, shine; for your light has come! And the GLORY of the Lord is risen upon you. 2 For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and deep darkness the people; But the Lord will arise over you, and His GLORY will be seen upon you.
- The light of God’s GLORY
- Revelation 21:23; 22:5 – 23 The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light.
- Revelation 22:5 – There shall be no night there: They need no lamp nor light of the sun, for the Lord God gives them light. And they shall reign forever and ever.
IV. JESUS IN OUR LIVES BRINGS HOPE OF GLORY
- Colossians 1:27 – To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
V. JESUS IS WORTHY TO RECEIVE GLORY
- Revelation 4:11 – “You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; For You created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created.”
- Revelation 5:13 – And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: “Blessing and honor and glory and power be to Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, forever and ever!”
- Romans 11:36 – For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.
- Psalm 72:18-19 – 18 Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel, who only does wondrous things! 19 And blessed be His glorious name forever! And let the whole earth be filled with His glory. Amen and Amen.
VI. WAYS TO GIVE GLORY TO JESUS
- With Testimonies
- Psalm 96:3 – Declare His glory among the nations, His wonders among all peoples.
- Psalm 107:2 – Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom He has redeemed from the hand of the enemy,
- I Chronicles 16:10,24 – 10 Glory in His holy name; Let the hearts of those rejoice who seek the Lord! 24 Declare His glory among the nations, His wonders among all peoples.
- By Our Good Works
- Matthew 5:16 – Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
- John 17:4 – I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.
- I Peter 2:12 – having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation.
- Being Fruitful
- John 15:8 – By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
- Being changed into the image of Jesus
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 – But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
- Faithfulness during trials of faith
- Job 23:10 – But He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold.
- I Peter 1:7 – that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,
- Isaiah 24:14-16 – 14 They shall lift up their voice, they shall sing; For the majesty of the Lord They shall cry aloud from the sea. 15 Therefore glorify the Lord in the dawning light, the name of the Lord God of Israel in the coastlands of the sea. 16 From the ends of the earth we have heard songs: “Glory to the righteous!” But I said, “I am ruined, ruined! Woe to me! The treacherous dealers have dealt treacherously, indeed, the treacherous dealers have dealt very treacherously.”
- Giving / Worship
- Psalm 29:1-2 – 1 Give unto the Lord, O you mighty ones, Give unto the Lord glory and strength. 2 Give unto the Lord the glory due to His name; Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.
- GIVING — (other Scriptures about giving cheerfully, willingly, etc..)
- Glory in the Lord, not self
- 2 Corinthians 10:17-18 – 17 But “he who glories, let him glory in the Lord.” 18 For not he who commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends.
- Psalm 115:1 – Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but to Your name give glory, because of Your mercy, because of Your truth.
- Jeremiah 9:22-24 – 22 Speak, “Thus says the Lord: ‘Even the carcasses of men shall fall as refuse on the open field, like cuttings after the harvester, and no one shall gather them.’ ” 23 Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches; 24 But let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, [a]judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight,” says the Lord.
- Having Faith
- Romans 4:20 – He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God,
- Being Prayerful
- I Samuel 12:23 – Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way.
- 2 Chronicles 7:1 –When Solomon had finished praying, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the Lord filled the temple.
- Psalm 141:2 – Let my prayer be set before You as incense, the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
- Believing for Miracles
- John 2:11 –This beginning of signs Jesus did in Cana of Galilee, and manifested His glory; and His disciples believed in Him.
- Singing Praises to the Lord
- Psalm 66:2 – Sing out the honor of His name; make His praise glorious.
- Psalm 138:5 – Yes, they shall sing of the ways of the Lord, for great is the glory of the Lord.
- Maintaining Unity
- John 17:22 – And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:
- Romans 15:6,9 – 6 that you may with one mind and one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 and that the Gentiles might glorify God for His mercy, as it is written: “For this reason I will confess to You among the Gentiles, and sing to Your name.”
- With Excellence
- Psalm 8:1,9 – 1 O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is Your name in all the earth, who have set Your glory above the heavens! 9 O Lord, our Lord, how excellent is Your name in all the earth!
- Psalm 24:8,10 – 8 Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, The Lord mighty in battle. 10 Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, He is the King of glory. Selah
- I Chronicles 29:11 – Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power and the glory, the victory and the majesty; For all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and You are exalted as head over all.
- Psalm 3:3 – But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
- Psalm 150:2 – Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!
- Job 37:23 –As for the Almighty, we cannot find Him; He is excellent in power, in judgment and abundant justice; He does not oppress.
- Psalm 16:3 – As for the saints who are on the earth, “They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.”
- Proverbs 17:27 –He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.
- Daniel 5:12 –Inasmuch as an excellent spirit, knowledge, understanding, interpreting dreams, solving riddles, and explaining enigmas were found in this Daniel, whom the king named Belteshazzar, now let Daniel be called, and he will give the interpretation.”
- Through repentance and confession of sin
- Joshua 7:19 – Now Joshua said to Achan, “My son, I beg you, give glory to the Lord God of Israel, and make confession to Him, and tell me now what you have done; do not hide it from me.”
- Romans 3:23 – for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
VII. MANY SCRIPTURAL ILLUSTRATIONS OF GLORY
- Shepherds – Luke 2:20 – returned glorifying and praising God
- Lame man – Luke 5:25 – departed to his house – glorifying God
- Bind man – Luke 18:43 – after healed, he followed Jesus – glorifying God… when they saw it, they gave praise…
- Angels – Luke 2:14 – gave glory – “Glory to God in the highest…”
- 10 lepers – only 1 returned to give thanks and glorify God – Luke 17:11-19
- Moses – “Please show me your glory” Exodus 33:18-19
- Moses intercedes for the Israelites
- Numbers 14:21-22 – the earth shall be filled with the GLORY of the Lord
- Refusing to glorify the Lord is serious!
- Romans 1 – when they didn’t glorify the Lord – God’s wrath and judgment
- Stories of kings – King Herod; Nebuchadnezzar, etc.
VIII. GLORIOUS MOUNT CARMEL VICTORY – I Kings 18
- Elijah gave the Lord glory
- Our created PURPOSE is to give Jesus GLORY!
- When we GLORIFY the Lord, it pleases Him, and brings Him delight!
- It is a BLESSING to those around us!
- It brings fulfillment, joy and satisfaction in our lives as well!
- UNTO HIM BE GLORY IN THE CHURCH!