The redeemed obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow is overcome! – Isaiah 35:10
I. God said, “I will make them JOYFUL in my house of prayer…”
- One of the reasons for a lack of joy is a lack of prayer in God’s house!
- Why aren’t God’s people experiencing more JOY? (Word; dwelling in His presence; praying; seeking to be filled with His Spirit; a close personal relationship with Jesus….)
II. Jesus is building a JOYFUL Church! – a REJOICING CHURCH!
- We have great reason to REJOICE – Jesus! Our JOY is based upon the truth about Him!
- To rejoice is a choice!—it is not based on circumstances, it is based on the truth!
- We are to REJOICE always!
- Habakkuk 3:17-19 – 17 Though the fig tree may not blossom, Nor fruit be on the vines; Though the labor of the olive may fail, And the fields yield no food; Though the flock may be cut off from the fold, And there be no herd in the stalls— 18 Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. 19 The Lord God is my strength; He will make my feet like deer’s feet, And He will make me walk on my high hills.
- Matthew 16:19-20 – 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then He commanded His disciples that they should tell no one that He was Jesus the Christ.
- Importance of the Church, and purpose of the church…
- Purpose of the church – to glorify the Lord! Jesus is coming for a glorious church (more about this another time, Lord willing)
III. What kind of a church is Jesus building – a JOYRUL, TRIUMPHANT CHURCH!
- Revelation 19:7 – marriage supper of the Lamb is a time of gladness and joy
- There are Secrets of JOY. We continue to consider some of them today…
- A Strong and JOYFUL church
- Ephesians 6:10 – Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.
- Jesus is LORD of the church – Philippians 2:9-11; Ephesians 1:21-22; I Timothy 6;15; Revelation 17:14; 19:16
- His LORDSHIP brings happiness
IV. His presence brings joy – Psalm 16:11
- Thanksgiving and praise – Psalm 100:1-2
- He dwells in the praises of His people – Psalm 22:3
V. REJOICE in God our Creator and King
- Psalm 149:2 – Let Israel rejoice in their Maker; Let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
- Psalm 100:1-4 (already referred to)
- Psalm 42:1-2 – 1 As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God. 2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?
- Psalm 145:3-6 – 3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; And His greatness is unsearchable. 4 One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts. 5 I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty, And on Your wondrous works. 6 Men shall speak of the might of Your awesome acts, And I will declare Your greatness.
- Psalm 8
- Isaiah 65:18 – But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; For behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing, And her people a joy.
VI. CONVERSION BRINGS JOY
- Psalm 51:12-13 – 12 “I, even I, am He who comforts you. Who are you that you should be afraid of a man who will die, and of the son of a man who will be made like grass? 13 And you forget the Lord your Maker, who stretched out the heavens and laid the foundations of the earth; You have feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor, when he has prepared to destroy. And where is the fury of the oppressor?
- Luke 5:7,10 – 7 So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 10 and so also were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.”
- Parable of the prodigal son – Luke 15:32
- The joy of harvest – John 4:36; Isaiah 9:3
- Let’s rescue souls – since Jesus said that 1 soul is worth more than all the world, it is one of the most valuable, worthwhile things that we can do with our time here on earth!
VII. THE BLESSINGS OF THE LORD BRING TRUE RICHES AND GREAT JOY
- The greatest blessings are eternal – Matthew 6:20
- Let’s be rich in faith!
- The riches of His grace – redemption – Eph 1:17,18
- The redeemed obtain JOY AND GLADNESS, and sorrow is overcome – Isaiah 35:10
- Ephesians 1:3 – blessed with every spiritual blessing through Jesus
- Ephesians 2:4,7 – rich in mercy; riches of His grace and kindness
- Ephesians 3:17; Philippians 4:19; Colossians 1:27 – riches of His glory
- Colossians 3:17 – riches of His Word
- Jeremiah 15:16; Psalm 119:162 – His Word brings JOY – it is a great treasure
- Hebrews 11:26 – persecution greater riches than worldly treasure
- 2 Corinthians 7:4 – joyfulness in tribulation; Matthew 5:10-12
- James 2:6 – rich in faith
- Proverbs 10:22 – Blessings bring joy
- Psalm 133:1-3 – good and PLEASANT for us to dwell together in unity – unity brings blessing
- Psalm 122:1 – there is great joy and gladness when we faithfully gather together with the family of God
- Psalm 68:3 – Righteousness brings great joy
- Deuteronomy 28:47-48 – if we don’t serve with thankfulness and joyfully, we will not be blessed!
VIII. Let’s pray for revival
- Psalm 85:6 – …revive us again…
IX. REJOICE DAILY
- Psalm 118:24 – this is the day the Lord has made (every day) – let’s REJOICE AND BE GLAD!