Jesus is always interceding for us!
What is Intercessory Worship?
- Intercessory Worship refers to – CONCENTRATED, PASSIONATE, “WORSHIP-SATURATED PRAYER” that rises with the fragrance of incense before God’s throne.
- Worship must be a way of life. When linked with intercession to the extent that such intercession is a part of and flows directly from the worship, it becomes what we are referring to as INTERCESSORY WORSHIP.
Revelation 5:8-10 (THE HARP AND BOWL SYMBOLISM)
- HARP – WORSHIP
- BOWL – PRAYER
- Worship/Praise is Prayer
- Prayer is Worship/Praise
Revelation 5:8 – And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
God is causing His people to arise.
Prayer and Intercession should be a pivotal part of life in Christ.
What is Prayer?
- Can be expressed in three basic forms:
- 1 TIMOTHY 2:1 – First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,
- Prayer of SUPPLICATION is the kind of prayer that can be used in critical situations where there seems to be no other way. When our requests line up with God’s will, which is simply His Word then He hears us and He answers.
- Supplication” means “petition”.
- Write the prayer out.Make a formal, written request – make it in the form of a legal petition.Every time you make a statement, write a corresponding reference that backs it up within the petition.This helps come to an agreement with what we are actually asking, and the Scriptures help build faith to not only ask but receive…
- HABAKKUK 2:2 – And the Lord answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it.
- When there is difficulty discerning the will of God in a matter, when our faith seems low, when we lack inner assurance or need others to pray in one accord with us about a situation that seems impossible – use the PRAYER OF SUPPLICATION!
- “Supplication” has 3 definitions – 1) a petition; 2) an entreaty; 3) a humble request.
- In “supplications” you deal with the known will of God, which is written in His Word.
- If your petition is in agreement with His Word, you can be sure that it is part of His will for you.
- ISAIAH 43:26 – Put me in remembrance; let us argue together; set forth your case, that you may be proved right.
- His Word is His will
- All the blessings of God are legally ours.
- If you don’t know what rightfully belongs to you according to the Word of God, you can never experience all God has provided for you.
- Your petition establishes in you and those petitioning with you, the known will of God.
- This is the legal side of the petition.
- Once it is established in you, you are in line to experience the will of God in your life. This is the vital side of the practical living side. The legal side must first be established before the vital side can be experienced. Your faith is the evidence, and proof (Hebrews11:1).
- In a supplication, you deal with the known will of God, which is His Word, and appeal to the Supreme Court of Heaven.
- When you use His Word in His court, you win. When you know that, you are bold. It is not hit-and-miss. There is a way to pray in absolute confidence so that there are no questions nor doubts that you have the answer
- You have an Advocate – JESUS. (I John 2:1).
- When you pray, believe that the promises of God are yea and amen in Christ Jesus. 2 Corinthians 1:20 – For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.
- Do not generally include in your petition specific dates
- Mark 11:24 – the emphasis is on believing… “Therefore, I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them.
- When you pray your petition, you should pray it as a present possession, as if you already possess it.
- Hebrews 11:1 – says that faith is in the “now”, “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
- Pray the Petition through –
- John 5:14, 15 – “…. If we ask anything according to His will, He hears us: and if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the PETITIONS that we desired of Him.
- Worshipping the creative genius of God is a form of prayer – that consciousness of who He is and worshiping Him for what He has done.
- 1. The act of interceding.
- 2. Prayer, petition, or entreaty in favor of another
- 3. “seeking the presence and hearing of God on behalf of others.”
Intercessory prayer is not only a privilege but a command to “continue steadfastly in prayer” (Colossians 4:2).
Prayer is an essential part of a Christian’s walk with God. This is how we communicate with him, and one way he communicates with us. When the veil was torn, we were given intimate and immediate access to God, but He also assigns us the responsibility of praying for other people.
Jesus is always INTERCEDING for us!
(INTERCESSORY WORSHIP is also part of our ministry)
Romans 8:34 – It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes INTERCESSION
Hebrews 7:25 – Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make INTERCESSION for them.
Isaiah 53:12 – He bore the sin of many, and made INTERCESSION for the transgressors.
Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”
John 17:9 Intercession for the church
“I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours.
EPHESIANS 6:19 – And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God’s mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike.
1 TIMOTHY 2:1 – I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them.
1 THESSALONIANS 1:2 – We always thank God for all of you and continually mention you in our prayers.
We all need intercession, even believers.
Review of Elijah’s prayer – God was glorified (I Kings 18)
Solomon’s prayer – the glory filled the temple (2 Chronicles 7:1)
- VICTORY OVER THE AMALEKITES
- (Moses’s intercession…)
2 CHRONICLES 30:18-20 – …Hezekiah prayed for them, saying, “May the good Lord provide atonement for everyone 19 who prepares his heart to seek God, the Lord God of his fathers…20 And the Lord listened to Hezekiah and healed the people.
Job 42:10 – The Lord restored Job’s losses when he prayed for his friends.
Psalm 106:23 – He said that He would destroy them, had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, to turn away His wrath, lest He destroys them.
Ephesians 1:11-16 – …I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, 16 do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers:
Worship of the golden calf
- (Exodus 32)
- Intercessory worship to a false god –
PRAYER HELPS KEEP US IN THE RIGHT WAY
2 Samuel 6
- Bringing up ark – 1st time – wrong way (death of Uzzah)
- 2nd time – the right way
ROMANS 8:26,27 – Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
DANIEL 6:11 – Then these men went as a group and found Daniel praying and asking God for help.
DANIEL 9:19-21 – 19 O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name.”20 Now while I was speaking, praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God for the holy mountain of my God, 21 yes, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, reached me about the time of the evening offering.
ACTS 16:25 – at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. 26 Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were loosed.
STEPS TO ANSWERED PRAYER
1. BE SPECIFIC AND STAND ON GOD’S PROMISES
- Pray according to the Word
- Use the Sword of the Spirit Against the Devil
- Fight the good fight of faith 91 Tim. 6:12)
2.YOU MUST ASK GOD FOR WHAT YOU WANT
- (MATT. 6:32; JOHN 16:24; MATT. 7:7-8; MARK 11:23, 24)
3.BE POSITIVE IN YOUR THINKING
- Resist doubt
- Reject anything that contradicts the Word
- (James 4:7 …resist the devil;)
- (1 Peter 5:8..the devil is like a roaring lion…)
4.GUARD YOUR MIND
- (2 Corinthians 10:5…cast down every imagination that exalts itself against the knowledge of God)
- (Philippians. 4:8 – whatever things TRUE, HONEST, JUST, PURE. LOVELY, GOOD REPORT,..ANY PRAISE….think on these things.)
5.MEDITATE ON GOD’S PROMISES
- (PROVERBS 4:20-22 – My son. ATTEND TO MY WORDS; ..let them not depart.. Kee them.. John 5:17 – abide in Him.
6.CONTINUALLY THANK GOD FOR THE ANSWER
- (Philippians 4:6 – …with thanksgiving
7.MAKE EVERY PRAYER A STATEMENT OF FAITH
- Use the faith you have – Romans 12:30)
- Use the faith you have in order for your faith to be effectual
Acts 16:25 – at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God…