God is our refuge!
I. SHAKEN (Last days earthquakes worldwide)
- This week’s earthquake
- Acts 4:31 – And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.
- Many earthquakes this last year – (393)
- Isaiah 2:17-21 – The loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be brought low; The Lord alone will be exalted in that day, 18 But the idols He shall utterly abolish. 19 They shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, from the terror of the Lord and the glory of His majesty, WHEN HE ARISES TO ‘SHAKE’ THE EARTH MIGHTILY… In that day a man will cast away his idols of silver and his idols of gold, which they made, each for himself to worship, to the moles and bats, 21 To go into the clefts of the rocks, and into the crags of the rugged rocks, from the terror of the Lord and the glory of His majesty, WHEN HE ARISES TO ‘SHAKE’ THE EARTH MIGHTILY.
- Haggai 2:6-9 – “For thus says the Lord of hosts: ‘Once more (it is a little while) I WILL ‘SHAKE’ HEAVEN AND EARTH, the sea and dry land; 7 and I WILL ‘SHAKE’ ALL NATIONS, and they shall come to the Desire of All Nations, and I will fill this temple with glory,’ says the Lord of hosts. 8 ‘The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine,’ says the Lord of hosts. 9 ‘The glory of this latter temple shall be greater than the former,’ says the Lord of hosts. ‘And in this place I will give peace,’ says the Lord of hosts.”
- Hebrews 12:25-28 – See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused Him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven, 26 whose voice then SHOOK THE EARTH… but now He has promised, saying, “Yet once more I ‘SHAKE’ NOT ONLY THE EARTH, BUT ALSO HEAVEN.” 27 Now this, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of those things that are being ‘shaken’, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be ‘shaken’ may remain. 28 Therefore, since we are receiving A KINGDOM WHICH CANNOT BE ‘SHAKEN’, let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear…
- Mighty shakings in the earth in the last days (signs of the times)
II. SIGNS – JESUS 2ND COMING
- Luke 21:11 – And there will be GREAT EARTHQUAKES in various places, and famines and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and great signs from heaven.
- Matthew 24:7 – For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and EARTHQUAKES in various places.
- Mark 13:8 – And there will be EARTHQUAKES in various places, and there will be famines and troubles. These are the beginnings of sorrows.
III. MORE SCRIPTURES – ‘SHAKE / SHAKEN / SHAKING’
- Psalm 60:2 – You have made the earth tremble; You have broken it; Heal its breaches, for it is ‘shaking‘.
- Psalm 18:7 – Then the earth ‘shook’ and trembled; The foundations of the hills also quaked and were ‘shaken’, because He was angry.
- Isaiah 13:13 – Therefore I will ‘SHAKE’ the heavens, And the earth will ‘MOVE’ out of her place, In the wrath of the Lord of hosts and in the day of His fierce anger.
- Isaiah 64:1 – Oh, that You would rend the heavens! That You would come down! That the mountains might ‘SHAKE’ at Your presence—
- Ezekiel 31:16 – I made the nations ‘SHAKE’ at the sound of its fall, when I cast it down to hell together with those who descend into the Pit…
- Ezekiel 38:20 – …all men who are on the face of the earth shall ‘SHAKE’ at My presence. The mountains shall be thrown down, the steep places shall fall, and every wall shall fall to the ground.’
- Acts 16:25-26 – …at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. 26 Suddenly there was a great EARTHQUAKE, so that the foundations of the prison were ‘SHAKEN’; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were loosed.
- Revelation 16:16-18 – And they gathered them together to the place called in Hebrew, – Armageddon. 17 Then the seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and a loud voice came out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, “It is done!” 18 And there were flashes of lightning and loud rumblings and peals of thunder; and there was a massive earthquake—nothing like it has ever occurred since mankind originated on the earth, so severe and far-reaching was that earthquake.
IV. A DISPLAY OF GOD’S POWER
- As we consider the powerful might and display of our Almighty God as seen in the ‘shaking’ of the earth in earthquakes, it is TOTALLY AMAZING and AWESOME!
- in Polilio, located in remote islands, they experienced the ‘shaking’ of the earthquake way out there. In fact, it impacted other nations — clear to China, Japan, and Taiwan!In these last days according to Scripture, the heavens and earth will be ‘shaken’! It is comforting to note that in the midst of it all, the Lord will provide a place of shelter for His people, and help us be strong!Joel 3:16 – The Lord also will roar from Zion, and utter His voice from Jerusalem; The heavens and EARTH WILL ‘SHAKE’; BUT THE LORD WILL BE A SHELTER FOR HIS PEOPLE, and THE STRENGTH of the children of Israel.Psalm 46:1-3 – God is our REFUGE and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be ‘removed’, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;3 Though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains ‘shake’ with its swelling. Selah
- Psalm 32:7 – You are my HIDING PLACE; You preserve me from trouble…
- Psalm 91:2 – I will say of the Lord, He is my REFUGE and my fortress (SHELTER; place of safety; tower; bulwark; protection; )…
- Psalm 91:4 – He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you may seek REFUGE…
- Psalm 91:3 – It is He who DELIVERS YOU from the snare of the trapper, and from the deadly pestilence…
- Psalm 91:9 – Because you have made the Lord, which is my REFUGE, even the most High your habitation, there shall no evil befall you, neither any plague come near your dwelling.
- Psalm 91:13-16 – Because he has set his love upon me… therefore I will DELIVER him… He shall call upon me, and I will DELIVER him…
- Psalm 91:15 – I will be with him in trouble, I will RESCUE him!
SETTING OUR LOVE UPON HIM
- Love the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength (our entire being)!
- (Deuteronomy 6:5; 13:3)
- What happens when we DON’T LOVE THE LORD?
- I Corinthians 16:22 – If any man does NOT LOVE the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha! (…he shall be accursed; separated from God, lost forever; a curse be upon him; let him be had in execration; let him be kept from being with Christ – damned (condemned by God to suffer eternal punishment in hell).; a curse of the ban of destruction is on him; should be cut off from God…).
- Psalm 34:7,17,19 – The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him [with awe-inspired reverence and worship Him with obedience], And He RESCUES [each of] them… When the righteous cry [for help], the Lord hears and RESCUES them from all their distress and troubles… Many hardships and perplexing circumstances confront the righteous, But the Lord RESCUES him from them all.
- Jimmy Jones was driving his delivery truck in 2011 when he found himself in the crosshairs (midst) of an F-4 tornado. Frantic, he was forced to seek refuge under an interstate underpass…(The Christian Broadcasting Network CBN)
- During one of the largest tornado outbreaks in U.S. history. Over a 4–day period there were 358 twisters (tornadoes) in 21 states from New York to Texas.
- Jimmy Jones found himself in the midst of the chaos — and over 180 mph tornado wind storm (over 289 kph)!
- It was so powerful he wouldn’t have survived without protection.
- He barely made it to a nearby underpass to seek protection before the tornado was on him.
- In the midst of the storm he called out to God “Lord, save me!” as he ran for protection in the midst of the stormy wind – with debri flying at him – he didn’t think he was going to make it.
- When he climbed up and reached the top of the incline underneath the overpass bridge he was in for a SURPRISE – (let’s listen to his live testimony as he shares….)
A REAL LIFE ANGELIC VISITATION
- A man driving a delivery truck protected during a severe storm.
- Highlights of Jimmy’s testimony
- Deep under the crevice under the bridge he grabbed a piece of metal pipe attached to the cement there – and held on, (as he was pelted debri painfully stabbing him in the back, and the strong winds that were trying to pull him out of his hiding place.
- Analogy/illustration/life lesson- When going through the storms, hold on to the solid, enduring promises of the Word of God! Don’t let go!
- The strong winds finally ended. He was amazed to find that his fellow companion was still there with him…
- Analogy/illustration/life lesson – The Lord has comfort and help for us that is available in the midst of the storms. The Lord is an “ever-present help in times of trouble!”. He says, “I will never leave you nor forsake you”. We can count on his presence and help as we endure the storms..
- Soon after the twister had finally left, emergency vehicles arrived on the scene. His truck was torn up. There was lots of destruction everywhere – cars were flipped upside down. Paramedics looked into his vehicle wondering where he was. “Here I am,” he said, as he ran down the embankment. “I’m up here with this fellow” — – as he turned around and pointed – there wasn’t anybody up there! No man, no blanket! He and the blanket had disappeared! He couldn’t have left any other way, and nobody saw another fellow with him. He had been there. He knew that he had not been sucked up in the tornado! Jimmy felt that the Lord had sent him an angel to help him face the force of that category F4 tornado… (F4 tornadoes bring devastating damage! They are estimated to have winds from 207 – 260 mph / 333 – 418 kph…).
- Analogy/illustration/life lesson – Angels are ministering spirits sent forth by the Lord to minister to His people – the heirs of salvation. (Hebrews 1:14)!
- There are times when angels manifest, and we may entertain angels unawares (Hebrews 13:2). At that dangerous time, it seemed to be a comfort to Jimmy to have the presence of that man (with his blanket). Blankets are sometimes called “comforters”. It was a comfort to Jimmy to have a companion during the fierce storm.
- When the angel Lord is with us in the midst of the storm, it brings protection and comfort. Jimmy survived to give the Lord praise!
- Analogy/illustration/life lesson – Jimmy said that the Lord taught him some important lessons in the storm (“all things work together for good – Romans 8:28”). About ”Loving the Lord our Savior, and serving Him –- when it’s all said and done nothing else is gonna matter”…
God is our REFUGE and SHELTER!
- Isaiah 43:1-5 – …FEAR NOT: for I have redeemed you, I have called you by your name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned (scorched), nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior… 5 FEAR NOT: for I am with you…
- Nahum 1:7 – The Lord is good, a strength and stronghold in the day of trouble; He knows [He recognizes, cares for, and understands fully] those who take REFUGE and trust in Him.
- Zephaniah 3:12 – “But I will leave among you a humble and lowly people, and they will take REFUGE and TRUST CONFIDENTLY in the name of the Lord.
God is our RESCUER/DELIVERER!
- God wants to DELIVER US from all evil. Jesus taught us to pray, “…. DELIVER US from evil… (the evil one)”
- Joel 2:32 – “Whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be DELIVERED.”
- The Lord becomes the defensive site for us against all invading enemies.
- 2 Samuel 2:24 – DAVID spoke the words of this song to the Lord when the Lord RESCUED him from the hands of all his enemies … 2 He said: “The Lord is my rock and my fortress [on the mountain] and MY RESCUER; 3 My God, my rock, in whom I take REFUGE; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, My Savior—You save me from violence.4 “I call on the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.Psalm 61:3-4 – For You have been A SHELTER and A REFUGE for me, A strong tower against the enemy. Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take REFUGE in the SHELTER of Your wings. Selah.Psalm 18:2,17,19 – The Lord is my rock, MY FORTRESS, and THE ONE WHO RESCUES ME; My God, my rock and strength in whom I trust and take REFUGE; My shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower—my stronghold. He RESCUED me from my strong enemy, And from those who hated me, for they were too strong for me. He brought me out into a broad place; He RESCUED me because He was pleased with me and delighted in me.
- Psalm 50:15 – Call on Me in the day of trouble; I will RESCUE you, and you shall honor and glorify Me.”
- Jeremiah 17:17 – …You are my refuge and my hope in the day of disaster.
- Jeremiah 16:19 – “O Lord, my Strength and my Stronghold, and my REFUGE in the day of distress and need, The nations will come to You From the ends of the earth and say, ‘Our fathers have inherited nothing but lies and illusion, [Worthless] things in which there is no benefit!’
- Ruth 2:12 – (Boaz blesses Ruth for her trust in God) May the Lord repay you for your kindness, and may your reward be full from the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take REFUGE.”
- Proverbs 30:5 – Every word of God is tested and refined [like silver]; He is a SHIELD to those who trust and take REFUGE in Him.
- Proverbs 14:32 – The wicked is overthrown through his wrongdoing, But the righteous has hope and confidence and A REFUGE [with God] even in death.
- Isaiah 26:3 – “You will keep in perfect and constant peace the one whose mind is steadfast [that is, committed and focused on You—in both inclination and character], Because he TRUSTS and takes REFUGE in You [with hope and confident expectation].
- Isaiah 57:13 – …he who takes refuge in Me will possess the land [Judea] And will inherit My holy mountain.”
- Daniel 6:26-28 – (After Daniel was delivered from the lions)
- I (King Darius) make a decree that in every dominion of my kingdom men must tremble and fear before the God of Daniel. For He is the living God, and steadfast forever; His kingdom is the one which shall not be destroyed, and His dominion shall endure to the end. 27 He delivers and RESCUES, and He works signs and wonders In heaven and on earth, Who has delivered Daniel from the power of the lions.
Hebrews 6:18 – so that by two unchangeable things [His promise and His oath] in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled [to Him] for REFUGE would have strong encouragement and indwelling strength to hold tightly to the hope set before us.
Psalm 46:1-3 – God is our REFUGE and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be ‘removed’, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;3 Though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains ‘shake’ with its swelling. Selah
1 Pedro 1:1-5 – Mula kay Pedro, isang apostol ni Jesu-Cristo—
Sa mga hinirang ng Diyos na nakikipamayan sa mga lalawigan ng Ponto, Galacia, Capadocia, Asia, at Bitinia. 2 Kayo’y pinili ng Diyos Ama ayon sa kanyang layunin sa mula’t mula pa at pinabanal ng Espiritu Santo, upang maging masunurin kay Jesu-Cristo at nilinis sa pamamagitan ng kanyang dugo. Sumagana nawa sa inyo ang kagandahang-loob at kapayapaan. 3 Purihin natin ang Diyos at Ama ng ating Panginoong Jesu-Cristo. Dahil sa laki ng habag niya sa atin, tayo’y binigyan niya ng isang panibagong buhay sa pamamagitan ng muling pagkabuhay ni Jesu-Cristo. Ito ang nagbigay sa atin ng isang buháy na pag-asa 4 na magmamana tayo ng kayamanang di masisira, walang kapintasan, at di kukupas na inihanda ng Diyos sa langit para sa inyo. 5 Sa pamamagitan ng inyong pananampalataya, iniingatan kayo ng kapangyarihan ng Diyos habang hinihintay ninyo ang kaligtasang nakahandang ihayag sa katapusan ng panahon.