The work of the Holy Spirit was very prominent and obvious in the life of Jesus!
Ephesians 5:18 – …BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT…!
John 7:37-39 – 37 …Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” But this He spoke concerning the SPIRIT, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the HOLY SPIRIT was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
John 20:21-22 – Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “RECEIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A WONDERFUL GIFT
- Hunger & thirst satisfied
- Overcoming power
- Closer relationship
- 2 Corinthians 4:16 – …though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being RENEWED DAY BY DAY.
- HOW? PRAYER! THROUGH HIS SPIRIT!
- Ephesians 3:16 – (Paul prayed that the Christians might be) … “strengthened with might through HIS SPIRIT in the inner man”.
- Some have said of the HOLY SPIRIT, “One baptism, many fillings”.
- True, but the Bible says “One baptism, DAILY fillings” is a need for all of us.
FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT DAILY
- Let the believer who receives the GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT continue to seek to be FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT daily, for only his might and strength enables us to walk in the fullness of the SPIRIT.
- Galatians 5:16, 25 – …walk and live habitually in the HOLY SPIRIT – responsive to and controlled and guided by the SPIRIT; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God)… If we live by the HOLY SPIRIT, let us also walk by the SPIRIT. If by the HOLY SPIRIT we have our life in God, let us go forward walking in line, our conduct controlled by the Spirit. (AMPC)
THE SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE
- This daily walk in the HOLY SPIRIT helps enable us to live victorious, SPIRIT-FILLED lives!
- Psalm 22:3 – …you are holy, O you that inhabit the praises of Israel.
- You who are ENTHRONED (DWELL) in [the holy place where] the praises of Israel [are offered]. (AMP?AMPC)
- The praises of Israel are your throne. (NCV)
John 4:23-24 – …the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 GOD IS A SPIRIT, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
Isaiah 56:7 – Even them I will bring to My holy mountain, And make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices Will be accepted on My altar; For MY HOUSE shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.”
CLEANSING THE TEMPLE
- Matthew 21:13 (Mark 11:17; Luke 19:46) – And He said to them, “It is written, ‘MY HOUSE shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”
TEMPLE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- I Corinthians 6:19-20 – do you not know that your body is the temple of the HOLY SPIRIT who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
- I Corinthians 3:16-17 – Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the SPIRIT of God dwells in you? If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is HOLY, which temple you are.
- Genesis 1:1-2 – In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the SPIRIT OF GOD moved upon the face of the waters.
A NEW CREATION
- 2 Corinthians 5:5,17 – He who has made us and prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave us the HOLY SPIRIT as a pledge [a guarantee, a down payment on the fulfillment of His promise. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
- I Corinthians 3:16-18 – Now the Lord is the SPIRIT; and where the SPIRIT of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the SPIRIT of the Lord.
- Acts 1:8 – is for today!… Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8)
“GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT” Part 2
- “Receive the HOLY SPIRIT” (This a series of messages) – the “HOLY SPIRIT” is a huge topic. As we consider together what the Scriptures reveal about the HOLY SPIRIT – it helps us to come to know the HOLY SPIRIT better…
- These teachings can help inspire us to experience Spirit-filled, Spirit-led lives.
THE ONLY FOUNDATION
- Acts 2:38,39 –Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”
2) “Be baptized”
3) “Receive the GIFT of the HOLY SPIRIT”
Ephesians 2:19-22 – …built upon the FOUNDATION of the apostles and prophets, JESUS CHRIST himself being the chief cornerstone!
Hebrews 13:8 – Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
FOUNDATIONAL DOCTRINE THE LIFE OF JESUS
The work of the Holy Spirit was very prominent and obvious in the life of Jesus
- Luke 1:31,35
- Luke 2:40,52
- Luke 2:21,22
- Luke 4:1
- Luke 4:14-20
Acts 10:38 – …God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the HOLY SPIRIT and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him.
John 6:63 – It is the SPIRIT who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are SPIRIT, and they are life.
John 3:34 – For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the SPIRIT by measure unto Him.
- for God gives the [GIFT OF THE] SPIRIT without measure [generously and boundlessly]! (AMP)
- God does not give Him His Spirit sparingly or by measure, but boundless is THE GIFT God makes OF HIS SPIRIT! (AMPC)
- …God gives the SPIRIT generously. (CEB)
- …he has been given the full power of God’s SPIRIT. (CEV)
- …God gives Him the SPIRIT fully. (ERV)
- …God gives Him the SPIRIT without limit. (WORD)
- …God gives Him the fullness of his SPIRIT. (GNT)
- God does not give the SPIRIT in limited measure to Him. (ISV)
- …God gives the SPIRIT without limit. (NIV)
- …He gives the SPIRIT lavishly. (NTE)
- …but He gives the SPIRIT in full. (WE)
BEING FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
JOHN 7:37-39 – 37 …Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” But this He spoke concerning the SPIRIT, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the HOLY SPIRIT was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
Acts 1:4-5 – And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for THE PROMISE of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have
heard from Me; 5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be BAPTIZED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT not many days from now.”
ACTS 2:4 – 4 And they were all FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
After they received the GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT they took the message of salvation through Christ to a lost and dying world!
- The believers at Samaria had already placed their faith in Christ, they had been baptized in water, and the joy of salvation filled their whole city – BUT “as yet HE (the Holy Spirit) was fallen upon NONE of them (Acts 8:16).
- The apostles at Jerusalem were concerned – the FOUNDATION of the Samaritan believers’ experience was not complete. They sent to Peter and John, who came down and prayed for them that they might RECEIVE THE HOLY SPIRIT… Then they laid their hands on them and they received the HOLY SPIRIT. (Acts 8:14,15,17)
- Cornelius & household
- 44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished… because the GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 FOR they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.
Acts 19:1-6 – …Paul, having passed through the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples 2 he said to them, “Did you receive the HOLY SPIRIT when you believed?” So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a HOLY SPIRIT.” 3 And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?” So they said, “Into John’s baptism.”4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.” 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the HOLY SPIRIT came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
OUTPOURING OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
- We need to understand the significance of the outpouring of the SPIRIT on every believer.
- Acts 19:6 – …the HOLY SPIRIT came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.
- It is said that men were “FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT”. These were more isolated cases, for a particular ministry. (Exodus 28:3; 31:3; 35:31; Deuteronomy 34:9). The SPIRIT came upon, and even within isolated men. Rather than being a general experience for all believers, it was in more to the judges, kings, prophets, priests, etc.
- It is also said that men had the SPIRIT in them (Numbers 27:18; Isaiah 63:11). David prayed, “Take not your HOLY SPIRIT from me” (Psalm 51:11).
- It is said that the SPIRIT came upon, or clothed men (Judges 6:34; Numbers 11:17,25,26,24:2; Judges 11:29).
- The prophets spoke of a new day when God would put His Spirit upon and within ALL His people.
- Ezekiel 36:24-27 – … 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put MY SPIRIT within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.
- Joel 2:28-29 – “And it shall come to pass afterward
That I will pour out MY SPIRIT on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions. 29 And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out MY SPIRIT in those days.
New Testament (More)
- Witness of John the Baptist
- Matthew 3:11-12 – …He (Jesus) shall BAPTIZE you with the HOLY SPIRIT and fire…
- Witness of Jesus
- Luke 24:49 – Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.”
- Acts 1:4,8 – And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me; 8 But you shall receive power when the HOLY SPIRIT has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
FULFILLMENT OF THE OUTPOURING
- There can be no question that what happened as recorded in Acts 2 was the initial fulfillment of what Christ promised and the prophets had predicted. Peter confirms in Acts 2:16 – “This is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel…” This becomes God’s interpretation of Joel 2.
- In Acts 2:38,39 He also taught them that this PROMISE OF THE SPIRIT was for them, their children, “and ALL that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call”.
- Special note: Throughout history there have been many special outpourings of the HOLY SPIRIT recorded.
ENDUEMENT OF POWER
- Special note: Christ did not instruct them in Acts 1 to wait for salvation or the new birth, but for an “enduement” (Luke 24:49) of power to be witnesses (Acts 1:8). It was a subsequent experience, distinct from salvation.
“HOW CAN I OBEY GOD’S COMMAND TO RECEIVE THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?”
“HOW CAN I KNOW THAT I HAVE RECEIVED THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT?”
BIBLICAL PATTERN IN ACTS
- Acts 8:1-14 – The Samaritans
- Phillip preached Christ and saw many converted, healed, and delivered, yet they had not yet received the Holy Spirit. Peter and John later came down, laid hands on them, and they received the SPIRIT. It was a subsequent experience, distinct from salvation.
- Paul – Acts 9:3-14
- Paul experienced a marvelous and dramatic conversion on the road to Damascus Road. He prayed and sought God for the following three days. He did not receive the SPIRIT until Ananias came and prayed for him.
- The Ephesians – Acts 19:1-7
- They were disciples already. The gospel was not shared to them like their need was that of conversion. Rather, his inquiry to them was “Have you received the HOLY SPIRIT”?
- They were believers who had already been baptized by John’s baptism. If the SPIRIT automatically fell on a person when he believed, then Paul would not have asked the question that way “when you believed”… “To obey God’s command to “Receive the GIFT of the HOLY SPIRIT” is not to embrace some emotional or fanatical fantasy. Rather, it is the most practical step to daily Christian living and witness. The Bible teaches that God’s command to “BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT” is for ALL who name the Name of Christ.” 1) Graham Truscott – ”The Only Foundation” p. 85 We DON’T want an experience that causes prideful attitudes. The Bible teaches a sane, practical, level-headed experience of the HOLY SPIRIT that will form Christ-like character in us, and give us power to help us present Jesus Christ to a dying world.2) Graham Truscott – “The Only Foundation” – p. 85,86 “The BAPTISM with the Holy Spirit is the birthright of every believer. It was purchased for us by the atoning death of Christ, and when He ascended to the right hand of the Father, He received the promise of the Father and shed Him forth upon the church. If anyone today has not the BAPTISM with the HOLY SPIRIT as a personal experience, it is because he has not claimed his birthright.” 3) Dr. R.A.Torrey (First principal of the Moody Bible Institute) – Graham Truscott, “The Only Foundation” p. 88 …I believe the time has come to give the HOLY SPIRIT His rightful place in our churches. We need to learn once again what it means to be BAPTIZED with the HOLY SPIRIT… we do not have the same dynamic and the same power the early Church had. They had the filling of the Holy Spirit.” 4) Evangelist Billy Graham speaking to a gathering of ministers / Graham Truscott – “The Only Foundation”, p. 88
BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT IS BIBLICAL
- It is a valid Biblical and is both applicable to and necessary for our day!
- Romans 10:17 – …Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the WORD OF GOD.
The WORD must first be sown in order to have faith.
- Ephesians 5:17-18 – “… be FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT”!
- It is not an option – it is a command!
IT IS AN EXPERIENCE DISTINCT FROM REPENTANCE AND WATER BAPTISM
IT IS GENERALLY EVIDENCED BY THE SIGN OF SPEAKING IN TONGUES
Mark 16:17 – These signs will accompany those who believe… they will speak in new tongues.”
- Throughout the Bible God confirms His covenants and promises with SIGNS. Our Father’s PROMISE to us of the BAPTISM IN THE HOLY SPIRIT is also accompanied by a sign – the sign of speaking in unknown tongues as the Holy Spirit Himself gives the utterance.
- When believers received the promised GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT in Bible days, they generally spoke with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. The first thing that was “seen and heard” at the time of the initial infilling was supernatural utterance in unknown tongues.
- All over the world today, Christians are experiencing the blessing, benefit, and assurance this sign of God brings to Spirit-filled believers.
- However, speaking in tongues is not the evidence of a Spirit-filled, holy life. It is not the sign of a sanctified or spiritual life.
HOW CAN I RECEIVE?
- We must have experienced the new birth, and true repentance for sin.
- JESUS is the baptizer – pray, ask, seek, knock…
- Response of FAITH –
- Galatians 3:2 – …received you the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of FAITH?
- FAITH is the condition upon which man receives everything from God (Hebrews 11:6; James 1:6-8)
- Note the word “GIFT”
- In Acts 2:38 God specified that it was to be a GIFT given, not purchased. One doesn’t buy a gift; he simply receives it. It is not by our works… We receive b faith, the same way we were saved.
Luke 11:9-13 – …I say unto you, ASK, and it shall be given you; SEEK, and you shall find; KNOCK and it shall be opened unto you. 10) For every one that asks receives, and he that seeks finds, and to him that knocks it shall be opened… If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, HOW MUCH MORE shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ASK Him.
God’s promise concerning the days in which we live is to POUR OUT HIS HOLY SPIRIT on ALL FLESH! We need the fresh infilling of HIS SPIRIT on a daily basis!
Matthew 5:6 – Blessed and thirst… for THEY SHALL BE FILLED!
LORD I BELIEVE (Mark 9:23; 5:36)
- 1) Only believe, Only believe –
All things are possible, Only believe! (Repeat)
- 2) Lord, I believe, Lord I believe –
- 3) Lord, I receive, Lord I receive…
1 Pedro 1:1-5 – Mula kay Pedro, isang apostol ni Jesu-Cristo—
Sa mga hinirang ng Diyos na nakikipamayan sa mga lalawigan ng Ponto, Galacia, Capadocia, Asia, at Bitinia. 2 Kayo’y pinili ng Diyos Ama ayon sa kanyang layunin sa mula’t mula pa at pinabanal ng Espiritu Santo, upang maging masunurin kay Jesu-Cristo at nilinis sa pamamagitan ng kanyang dugo. Sumagana nawa sa inyo ang kagandahang-loob at kapayapaan. 3 Purihin natin ang Diyos at Ama ng ating Panginoong Jesu-Cristo. Dahil sa laki ng habag niya sa atin, tayo’y binigyan niya ng isang panibagong buhay sa pamamagitan ng muling pagkabuhay ni Jesu-Cristo. Ito ang nagbigay sa atin ng isang buháy na pag-asa 4 na magmamana tayo ng kayamanang di masisira, walang kapintasan, at di kukupas na inihanda ng Diyos sa langit para sa inyo. 5 Sa pamamagitan ng inyong pananampalataya, iniingatan kayo ng kapangyarihan ng Diyos habang hinihintay ninyo ang kaligtasang nakahandang ihayag sa katapusan ng panahon.