The Wisemen were Worshipers of Jesus!
May we be like the WISEMEN, following the bright starlight that the Lord provides through His Word – as we lovingly, sacrificially, and worshipfully seek and search for Jesus all the days of our life!
They diligently studied Scriptures and the ancient writings.
When they saw the star appear, they knew that a King had been born, as prophesied many years before. Many believe that the teachings that they studied had been passed down from a very wise person by the name of Daniel, who was an Israelite who was taken to Babylon as a captive many years before (probably around 400 years previously, or so). Daniel lived in Babylonian and Persian captivity most, if not all of his life.
They decided to follow the supernatural star that appeared as a sign of His birth, and go seek and find the long-awaited Messiah, AND WORSHIP HIM.
They needed TO SEEK HIM. How would they be able to find Him, if they didn’t go SEEK HIM? So… off they went!
It was a long – long trip! Day and night! Day and night for no doubt many weeks, some think possibly months… or even a year or two.
They excitedly and joyfully pursued the guiding light of the star…
They were not familiar with the landscape. They were totally dependent on the light of the star to keep them on course to arrive at the right destination.
What if the star disappeared? They would be totally lost!
It was an amazing, supernatural light! Was it so bright, and did it shine so brightly that they could see it in the daylight as well? Did they just travel at night? Who knows…
Matthew 2:1-12 – Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, WISE MEN from the East came to Jerusalem,
Matthew 2:1-12 – 2 saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have SEEN HIS STAR in the East and have COME TO WORSHIP HIM.”
- Special note: They arrived sometime AFTER Jesus was born.
Matthew 2:1-12 – 3 When Herod the king heard this, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. 4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born. 5 So they said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the prophet:6 ‘But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, Are not the least among the rulers of Judah; For out of you shall come a Ruler
Who will shepherd My people Israel.’ ”7 Then Herod, when he had secretly CALLED THE WISE MEN, determined from them what time the star appeared. 8 And he sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the young Child, and when you have found Him, bring back word to me, that I may come and WORSHIP HIM also.”
When the wisemen heard that Jesus was in Bethlehem, off they went again, to seek him, find him, and worship Him. They were rejoicing because they knew they were almost there…
- Special note: Herod also professed that he wanted to worship Jesus, but it was under false, deceptive pretense.
Matthew 2:2-10 – 9 When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, THE STAR which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was. 10 When they saw THE STAR, they REJOICED with exceedingly GREAT JOY. 11 And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down (BOWED; KNEELED) and WORSHIPED HIM. And when they had opened their TREASURES, they presented GIFTS to Him: GOLD, FRANKINCENSE, and MYRRH.
The presented gifts to Jesus.
They WORSHIPED JESUS! HOW? They kneeled before Him in worship. Can you picture these grown wisemen, kneeling before the child, and giving valuable gifts?
Here are some different translations of that scenario:
- (CSB) …FALLING TO THEIR KNEES, they WORSHIPED HIM.
- (CJB) …they PROSTRATED THEMSELVES and WORSHIPPED HIM.
- (CEV) …they KNELT DOWN and WORSHIPED HIM.
- (MSG) …THEY KNEELED and WORSHIPED HIM.
- (DARBY)…FALLING DOWN did him HOMAGE.
- (EASY) …They WENT DOWN ON THEIR KNEES in front of the child and they WORSHIPPED HIM.
- (EHV) … they BOWED DOWN and WORSHIPPED HIM.
After visiting at Jesus house, giving their gifts, and having a wonderful time of worship – their mission was complete, and it was time to return back to their country…
Returning… They were warned by God not to return to Herod in Jerusalem…
- Special note: God sees and knows the thoughts and hearts of men. He knows the true worshippers, and the false ones.
Matthew 2:12 – 12 Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way.
Let’s be like those WISEMEN, following the starlight that the Lord provides, as we seek and search for Jesus! Are you following Jesus?
“And you will SEEK ME and FIND ME, When you SEARCH FOR ME with all your heart.”
“LONG WALK PART OF GIFT” (1)
An African boy listened carefully as his missionary teacher explained why Christians give presents to each other on Christmas day. “The gift is an expression of our joy over the birth of Jesus and our love for each other,” she said.
When Christmas day came, the boy brought to the teacher a seashell of lustrous beauty. “Where did you ever find such a beautiful shell?” the teacher asked as she held the gift up to the light. The young boy told her that there was only one spot where such extraordinary shells could be found. When he named the place, a certain bay several miles away, the teacher was left speechless.“Why…why, it’s gorgeous…wonderful, but you shouldn’t have gone all that way to get a gift for me.”
His eyes brightening, the boy answered, “LONG WALK PART OF GIFT!”.
WISEMEN ARE WILLING TO TAKE A LONG WALK FOR JESUS
As in the story above, part of WISEMEN’S loving gift to Jesus was their willingness to go for a long walk/ride to WORSHIP JESUS personally, face-to-face. I’m sure they could also say “LONG WALK PART OF GIFT!”.
There are also many ways that we can demonstrate our loving, faithful devotion to Jesus. It is not always in public. Sometimes it includes long, dreary nights of pursuit. Sometimes it has to do with lots of details, and behind the scenes preparations and work behind the scenes that nobody knows anything about, except the Lord. He sees and knows all, and He will faithfully reward those who diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6).
What about us? What sacrificial acts of worship are we wiling to make?
THE ALABASTER FLASK OF PRECIOUS, FRAGRANT OIL…
Matthew 26:7-13 – … a woman came to Him having an alabaster flask of VERY COSTLY FRAGRANT OIL, and she poured it on His head as He sat at the table. 8 But when His disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, “Why this waste? 9 For this fragrant oil might have been sold for much and given to the poor.” 10 But when Jesus was aware of it, He said to them, “Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a good work for Me… 12 For in pouring this fragrant oil on My body, she did it for My burial. 13 Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her.”
- Special note: The oil was very precious. (Some of them didn’t value it properly!) Jesus was very pleased with this precious gift! A tribute and memorial for this sacrificial gift is still proclaimed throughout the world, and forever..
Luke 7:37-50 –
…a woman in the city who was a sinner… brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil, 38 and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, “This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.” 44 Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. 45 You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. 46 You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. 47 Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.”
- Special note: A sinner lavishly poured poured precious oil out upon Jesus. He commended her for it. When we recognize and acknowledge that we are all sinners, only saved by God’s grace, we should love Jesus a lot, like this woman.
MARY’S COSTLY OINTMENT
John 12:3 – Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.
- Special note: In context, Mary’s brother Lazarus had just been raised from the dead (John 11). She was so grateful to Jesus for what He had done that she wanted to show her loving appreciation by the demonstration of her costly sacrifice.
Luke 10:38-42 – … a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. 39 And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? …41 And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. 42 But one thing is needed, and MARY HAS CHOSEN THAT GOOD PART, which will not be taken away from her.”
- Special note: We observe 2 choices. 1) Martha is sacrificially serving – yet not with the right attitude. She is full of self-pity and judgment, feeling sorry for herself and wanting Jesus to do something about it. 2) Mary is lovingly seeking and serving Jesus with the right loving attitude, willing to take time with HIm and listen carefully to His teachings. That was the BEST CHOICE!
WISE MEN STILL WORSHIP JESUS
- SEEK HIM with JOY!
- WORSHIP HIM with SACRIFICIAL GIFTS!
- SERVE HIM with HUMILITY AND REVERANCE!
- ACKNOWLEDGE HIS KINGSHIP and LORDSHIP!
- WITH OBEDIENCE!
- By BELIEVING…
SEEK HIM WITH JOY
- Seek and serve the Lord with gladness.
- Let the heart of those rejoice who seek the Lord.
- Seek Him with JOY as an act of worship.
- Seek JOYFULLY with persistenCE… don’t stop!
WORSHIP HIM with SACRIFICIAL GIFTS!
- With our TREASURES.
- SACRIFICES of praise, thanksgiving, and worship.
- Our BODIES as living sacrifices.
- ACTS / WAYS of worship.
SERVE HIM with HUMILITY AND REVEReNCE!
- Psalm 89:7 – God is greatly to BE FEARED in the assembly of the saints, And to be held in REVERENCE by all those around Him.
- Malachi 1:6– If then I am the Father, Where is My honor? And if I am a Master, Where is My reverence? Says the Lord of hosts to you priests who despise My name. Yet you say, ‘In what way have we despised Your name?’
- Titus 2:7in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, REVERENCE, incorruptibility…
- I Timothy 2:2 – that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and REVERENCE...
- Hebrews 12:8 let us have grace, by which we may serve God acceptably with REVERENCE and godly fear.
- James 4:10; I Peter 5:6HUMBLE yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up… HUMBLE yourselves under the mighty hand of God.
- Micah 6:8 – He has shown you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justly, To love mercy, And to WALK HUMBLY WITH YOUR GOD?
ACKNOWLEDGE HIS KINGSHIP AND LORDSHIP
- Romans 10:8-10…“The word is near you, IN YOUR MOUTH and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that If You CONFESS WITH YOUR MOUTH the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and WITH THE MOUTH CONFESSION IS MADE unto salvation
WORSHIP WITH OUR OBEDIENCE
- I Samuel 15:22 – … to OBEY is better than sacrifice…
- John 14:15-21 – “If you LOVE Me, keep My commandments… 21 He who has My commandments and KEEPS THEM, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”
consequences of disobedience
- 2 Thessalonians 1:8 – …in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who DO NOT KNOW GOD, and on those who DO NOT OBEY THE GOSPEL of our Lord Jesus Christ.
WORSHIP BY BELIEVING
- John 4:39-42 – And many of the Samaritans of that city BELIEVED IN HIM because of the word of the woman”… 41 And many MORE BELIEVED because of His own word.42 Then they said to the woman, “Now WE BELIEVE, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed the Christ, the Savior of the world.”
- Mark 1:15 – …”Repent, and BELIEVE in the gospel.”
- John 1:12 – But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who BELIEVE IN HIS NAME…
- Acts 16:31 – “BELIEVE ON THE LORD Jesus Christ, and you will be saved…”
- Hebrews 11:6 – But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God MUST BELIEVE that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently SEEK HIM.
WORSHIP IN THE BEAUTY OF HOLINESS
- Psalm 29:2 – Give unto the Lord the glory due to His name; WORSHIP THE LORD in the BEAUTY OF HOLINESS.
- 2 Chronicles 20:21 -… he (King Jehoshaphat) appointed those who should sing to the Lord, and who should praise the BEAUTY OF HOLINESS, as they went out before the army and were saying: “Praise the Lord, For His mercy endures forever.”
WORSHIP FROM THE HEART
- Acts 16:4 – •- Now a certain woman named Lydia heard us. She was a seller of purple from the city of Thyatira, who WORSHIPED God. The Lord opened her heart to heed the things spoken by Paul.
- Mark 12:30 …you shall LOVE THE LORD your GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART…
- John 4:23-24 – But the hour is coming, and now is, when the TRUE WORSHIPERS will WORSHIP the Father IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH; for the Father is seeking such to WORSHIP HIM. 24 God is Spirit, and those who WORSHIP Him MUST WORSHIP IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH.”
WORSHIP IN THE FEAR OF GOD
- Revelation 14:6-7– I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people— 7 saying with a loud voice, “FEAR GOD and GIVE GLORY to Him, – for the hour of His judgment has come; and WORSHIP HIM who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.”
- Acts 2:42-43; 5:5; 9:31 – 42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. 43 Then FEAR came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles… •So great fear came upon all those who heard these things… Then the churches throughout all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria had peace and were edified. And WALKING IN THE FEAR OF THE LORD and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, they were multiplied.
- Revelation 15:3-4 – They sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying: “Great and marvelous are Your works, Lord God Almighty! Just and true are Your ways, O King of the saints! 4 Who shall not FEAR YOU, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy. For ALL NATIONS SHALL COME AND WORSHIP BEFORE YOU, For Your judgments have been manifested.”
ALL NATIONS WORSHIP
- Psalm 22:27 – •- ALL THE ENDS OF THE WORLD Shall remember and turn to the Lord, And ALL THE FAMILIES OF THE NATIONS SHALL WORSHIP before You.
- Psalm 86:9 – ALL NATIONS whom You have made shall come and worship before You, O LORD, and shall glorify Your name.
JESUS THE NAME ABOVE EVERY OTHER NAME
- (JESUS IS LORD) Philippians 2:9-11 – 9 Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow… 11 and that every tongue should confess that JESUS CHRIST IS LORD, to the glory of God the Father.
- (KING OF KINGS; LORD OF LORDS) Revelation 17:14 – These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for HE IS LORD OF LORDS AND KING OF KINGS; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful.”
IDOLATRY FALLS AS WE WORSHIP THE TRUE AND LIVING GOD
I heard of a group of worshipers in Europe worshiping and praising God publicly near an idolatrous statue. As they worshiped and praised the Lord, the statue fell over… toppling to the ground.
- Special note: There is power in united, true worship! God dwells in the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3). He is mighty, and well able to do great, and miraculous things to manifest His glory!
WORSHIP AND BOW DOWN
Psalm 95:6 – Oh come, let us WORSHIP AND BOW DOWN; LET US KNEEL before the Lord our Maker.
Let’s always remember to be like those WISEMEN, following the BRIGHT STARLIGHT that the Lord provides THROUGH HIS WORD –as we LOVINGLY, AND WORSHIPFULLY SEEK and search for Jesus ALL THE DAYS OF OUR LIFE!
- Special thanks and acknowledgement to Laura Acuna (https://laura-acuna.com/long-walk-part-of-the-gift-2/) for this story “LONG WALK PART OF GIFT” as copied from the internet.